Mountain Project Logo

NJ Pallisades climbing?

Original Post
Neal Javenkoski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 30

After some searching I did not find a thread that directly addressed this. May be old news to locals, but I'm curious.

Over the weekend I spent a bunch of time in northern Manhattan, and was very enticed by the cliffs on the NJ bank of the Hudson. My understanding from a New Yorker is that this is private land bought up decades ago in order to keep the view nice.

Has anybody tried to broker climbing access to these cliffs? Anybody gotten on them? How's the rock? Previous access disputes?

Thanks!

O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65

People have climbed there. Apparently the rock isn’t to bad.

They have a hard stance on no climbing (liability is one reason). If caught they take your gear and slap you with charges. My coworker went there in late 90’s early 00’s and both times got in trouble. 

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

People have tried over the years, and there are some routes on smaller cliffs just South of the GW Bridge, done in the 60's and by now way overgrown.  I remember a lot of poison ivy.

If you spend any time looking at the cliff from the bottom and the top,  you will be impressed with the amount of instability, and I'm speaking of house-size blocks as well as smaller but still lethal stuff.

Moreover, there have been at least two rockfalls in which an entire portion, top to bottom, of the cliff face has sheared off.  The latest one was just a few years ago (2012):

One of the pieces from that rockfall;

A bigger rockfall occurred in 1938,

and seven years later more fell off from this scar.
Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 180

See regulation 408.1 at the PIPC page if interested. http://www.njpalisades.org/regulations.html

"PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES
Swimming, cliff climbing, hunting, trapping, horseback riding, metal detecting, snowmobiling, gambling, advertising, soliciting, vending, and overnight parking are prohibited. §408.1"

Supertopo Thread with some info.

Neal Javenkoski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 30

Thanks for the info, everyone! It's too bad these aren't a climbing destination.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "NJ Pallisades climbing?"