Mountain Project Logo

Sport Climbing Kit - Am I missing anything?

Paul Hutton · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
bus driver wrote: Firm grasp of proper climbing commands and willingness to always use them at the proper time.

ETA: 
https://opp.uoregon.edu/climbing/topics/signals.html

The aesthetics of this inspired me to read the whole thing. But it's obvious that whomever developed it got anxious in publishing it. Several typos, which may cause confusion in communication from beginner climbers. Proofread, yo! 

Paul Hutton · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740
bus driver wrote: FrankPS said: Edit: I'm not sure it would only be "immature" people that climb a red-tagged route. I don't climb at sport areas, so I wouldn't know "what's that string for," I guess you could say that it's incumbent on the climber to find out what it means before they climb it, but I could see where it's ignored or dismissed as trash!

The immature comment was an inside reference to when my buddies and I were younger and held stronger opinions and would pull red tags or climb the routes without the FAs approval simply because we didn’t agree that there should be a route there to climb but was off limits.  Looking back it was immature hence the comment. 

Anyone who doesn't know what a red tag is probably isn't strong enough to climb the route anyway, nowadays. 

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

the most important thing you shall do climbing sport is to ruthlessly wire some route with tens or hundreds of ascent, then hide in the bushes until someone struggle on your route, then you casually come down and "chuck a lap"

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 125

Wow, I looked away for a couple days and we're 6 pages in, arguing ethics of red-tagging? Sounds about right.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sport Climbing Kit - Am I missing anything?"