Mountain Project Logo

Totem cam rewiring?

Original Post
Ven Popov · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 202

My totem cam got damaged by a nut tool when my second tried to get it out. Close inspection shows that the damaged wire is load bearing, not just a trigger. I contacted Totem and they said they don't offer rewiring for the load bearing wires. Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing before? Is there anyone who repairs these? I love my totems and I'd be very sad to have to retire it.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

I can’t imagine any commercial outfit wanting to accept the kind of liability that could come with fixing the loadbearing components of cam. That’s going to have to be a home job of sort.

But, whatever. It’s a Totem. Sell it “lightly used” on EBay for $125. Those things are hot right now.
\snark

It makes sense when you put it like this. I guess I'll have to say goodbye to it

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

RIP Totem...kinda don't hold up that well.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Your partner mangled the cam while cleaning it-- make them pay for a new unit.

In my experience totems have been quite durable.

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

Totems work on 2 lobes right?  That cam is still good to go with one to spare.

YGD

But really, that damaged cam is retired.

I don't think it was his fault - it was the last cam before the anchors and it likely walked into a constriction while dragging the rope up. He couldn't retrieve it so he spent some 10 minutes trying to get it out. I doubt I overcammed it, because it was standing on a nice ledge at the time. I've also found them to be otherwise quite durable, this was just a freak occurence

K Weber, they do work on 2 lobes, but that is designed for aid and for bearing only body weight. Totem does not advise taking leader falls on two cams only. It's only one of 8 total load bearing wires, 2 per each lobe, but I still think I should retire it.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Its something the right guy can fix, and trust his own life too lol. :)

Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440

It's sad to retire a Totem for this but I thing you have to. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Totem cam rewiring?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started