Mountain Project Logo

Headlamps for alpine climbing 2019

pjc30943 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Austin Wainwright wrote: I work in a gear shop and am testing the new BD Spot 325 and so far im very impressed. Small, lightweight, can be locked in off mode when not in use and super bright. It's waterproof too adhering to IPX8 standards. Only downside is it`s not rechargable (takes 3 AAA) but....... rechargable headlights don't last as long burn wise, some models less than half for the same lumen output (in the BD. However, this isn't the most eco friendly option but very practical. 

I agree on the Spot 325 being a great lamp. 

Actually, as a comparison because of what people recommended on this thread, I purchased 3 headlamps to compare to the Spot 325: Petzl Reactik+, Fenix HM50R, Zebralight H600c Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 .

I returned all the other lamps and stayed with the Spot 325.

I ran side by side tests for brightness at the highest and medium (standard use) settings.
For both intensity levels, the Spot shone further consistently, and stayed brighter for longer, than the others. This is despite higher lumen count of other lamps (since they have a wider diluted beam).
The others are also heavier.
The closest was Petzl. It will be interesting when the new Petzl Swift comes out in the fall.

This is just one comparison, of course.
David Spittle · · Brisbane, Queensland, AU · Joined 5 days ago · Points: 0

Out of interest did you test those for a long duration?

I’m still researching and found this:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/expert-advice/why-headlamp-claims-are-deceptive

pjc30943 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
David Spittle wrote: Out of interest did you test those for a long duration?

I’m still researching and found this:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/expert-advice/why-headlamp-claims-are-deceptive

Yes, about 10 hours.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Headlamps for alpine climbing 2019"