Mountain Project Logo

Kleimheist as a rope grab

Original Post
Bennett G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Could you use a kleimheist friction hitch as a rope grab for a 2-1 hauling system in an emergency since it only loads in one direction and it is easy to loosen. Btw, I know that this is kind of a dumb question but I think it’s a cool idea.

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

Can't you just try it yourself and find out? I'd love to hear your report back.

Chris Blatchley wrote: Can't you just try it yourself and find out? I'd love to hear your report back.

I am going to try it myself but I want to hear some insight from someone with practical experience using a 2-1 since I don’t have that. I am just a humble climbing nerd.

Quinn Hatfield · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

What “Emergency” would leave you minus your rope grab- but still with the other 3 pulleys, and other bits needed to put the 2:1 kit together?

Since you could improvise with one of your jugs- seems the least likely part to need to a stand-in

Quinn Hatfield wrote: What “Emergency” would leave you minus your rope grab- but still with the other 3 pulleys, and other bits needed to put the 2:1 kit together?

Since you could improvise with one of your jugs- seems the least likely part to need to a stand-in

If you were on a multipitch and had to haul with carabiners as pulleys. As I said earlier, it’s a dumb question and I was really bored.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

Given no pulleys, I’d be really surprised if you could effectively haul anything heavy (like a body). I don’t think you’ll be able to overcome the added friction.
It can be done of course, it’s just going to be damn hard.

A kleimheist will certainly work as a rope grab though. And those DMM biners with the tiny little roller in them will be far, far better than a regular biner. 

Mark Hudon wrote: Given no pulleys, I’d be really surprised if you could effectively haul anything heavy (like a body). I don’t think you’ll be able to overcome the added friction.

A kleimheist will certainly work as a rope grab though. And those DMM biners with the tiny little roller in them will be far, far better than a regular biner. 

Thanks for an actual answer. In regards to using normal carabiners as pulleys, Andy Kirkpatrick’s book higher education talks about it for emergencies and he said it sucks but its possible.

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 10
Bennett G wrote: Could you use a kleimheist friction hitch as a rope grab for a 2-1 hauling system in an emergency since it only loads in one direction and it is easy to loosen. Btw, I know that this is kind of a dumb question but I think it’s a cool idea.

Kleimheist grabs both ways, try it.

Ben Johnson · · Mill Valley, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Use a prussik 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Mark Hudon wrote: Given no pulleys, I’d be really surprised if you could effectively haul anything heavy (like a body). I don’t think you’ll be able to overcome the added friction.

You're not wrong! Back in 2014 we did the rescue hauling thread of death on here and with biners it all sucked. Something like 0.8 efficiency for wall hauler if I remember rightly. The Revolver biners work for what they are intended (wandering routes) but hauling loads the rope runs off the side of the roller and rubs, they are better than a normal biner but about the same as a 12mm round stock one. With thin cord it just runs off the side of the roller altogether (there is a problem with the alignment from the suspension point).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Kleimheist as a rope grab"