Mountain Project Logo

Crampon issues

Original Post
Cody H Eartz · · Concord, NH · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Hey hivemind,

I just picked up a pair of BD sabertooth crampons to match with my LaSpo Nepal Cubes (46.5). When fitted, the front points seem conspicuously pigeon toed.

I’m wondering if they’re designed to point inward, or if I’ve got them set up incorrectly. The toe bail seems to be seated well, without any gaps. However, the center bar makes the crampon very asymmetrical when extended back to the 4.5 hole setting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Cody Heartz

nullnull
Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

I don't have anything re. the inward angle, but those frontpoints look CRAZY short to me.

Dave Deming · · Grand Junction CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 25

I think check the holes on the front of the crampon, sometimes the bails sit in those funny and might need to be adjusted

LL Biner · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

Did you buy these used?If you did, maybe they came with the Assymetric center bar vs the straighter standard center bar
If so, this is an easy and inexpensive repair.

mario molina wrote: Did you buy these used?If you did, maybe they came with the Assymetric center bar vs the straighter standard center bar
If so, this is an easy and inexpensive repair.

I bought them new. But I’m thinking they came with the asym bar...

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Hard to judge from a picture but your secondary points don't seem optimally positioned to engage.  if you're climbing any ice with these see if the toe bail is at the rearmost adjustment hole. For hiking on snow they're good as is. 

jdejace wrote: Hard to judge from a picture but your secondary points don't seem optimally positioned to engage.  if you're climbing any ice with these see if the toe bail is at the rearmost adjustment hole. For hiking on snow they're good as is. 

Agreed about the front point positioning, but I have the bails set all the

way back. I wish there was a third hole farther back. I do want to climb alpine ice on these, so any advice re positioning is welcome.
I’ve got a picture of the center bar. Probably hard to tell without reference, but can
 anyone tell if these are the standard or asym bars?
Christian DuBois · · Temple, NH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 70

You could try adjusting the heel bail back and extending the center bar one position.

Christian DuBois · · Temple, NH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 70

And you're probably going to have to get the extended flex center bar if you're wearing 46.5 since you probably already have the bar fully extended. 

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176
Christian DuBois wrote: You could try adjusting the heel bail back and extending the center bar one position.

I don't like this recommendation. Leave them the way they are and give it a go. The front point extension is maybe 1/8-1/4" too short. 

FYI that's the standard center bar. 

Thanks for the feedback. After screwing around with them and not being pleased with how they look/climb, I'm thinking about getting the Dremel out and adding a third hole for the front bail. Wish me luck!

Red Label · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

How did your mod go Cody? I have 46 EVOs and Sabertooths, and they don't look like yours when they're on.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Cody H Eartz wrote: Thanks for the feedback. After screwing around with them and not being pleased with how they look/climb, I'm thinking about getting the Dremel out and adding a third hole for the front bail. Wish me luck!

My first comment notwithstanding, those side view photos make the frontpoints seem long enough. I wouldn't suggest drilling anything.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

I agree with Mike from the side the front points look fine, i think the angle of the original pictures was somewhat misleading.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Crampon issues"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started