Mountain Project Logo

Runner kills lion

HughC · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-lion-killed-colorado-trail-203621816.html

Ya, you raise scared runners that kill malnourished mountain kittens, so sad.

If that would have been up Boulder way, that 40 lb cat would have bitch slapped the beanie off the spandex clad, bearded hipster trail runner, stolen his yerba mate latte, and eaten his entrails while he whimpered and moaned. 

Brother Numsie · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 295
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-lion-killed-colorado-trail-203621816.html

Ya, you raise scared runners that kill malnourished mountain kittens, so sad.

What would you have done?

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Jim Turner wrote:

Fehim is a climber and would have had the proper gear and done the humane thing. Trail runners have no ethics. 
Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 316

I chuckle at what you think us trailrunners are made of.

O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 65
CO Climber wrote:

Wow, the kitty’s siblings partly ate him. It’s a cat eat cat world out there. 35-40 pounds definitely isn’t a full grown lion. Still bad ass.  Love that you guys are publicly flirting with each other still. 

My friends Maine Coon is 30lbs. Killing something that is 5-10lbs more than that isnt badass. That’s like being attacked by 1/2 my dog and killing it and thinking I am a badass. 

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506
PosiDave wrote:

My friends Maine Coon is 30lbs. Killing something that is 5-10lbs more than that isnt badass. That’s like being attacked by 1/2 my dog and killing it and thinking I am a badass. 

Half a dog attacking me is all I’m ever scared of. I don’t give two shits about the back half, never saw the reason to worry.

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0
Jaren Watson wrote:

Half a dog attacking me is all I’m ever scared of. I don’t give two shits about the back half, never saw the reason to worry.

LOL. Those Californians. 
Comparing a grossly overweight Garfield house cat to an angry cougar. Everybody i know punts 50 lbs pitbulls for fun. Most adults and dogs would get shredded by a bobcat. 
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 155
Jim Turner wrote:

I’d taken it in, fed it and nurtured it. Then, after it grew to an actual mountain lion I’d let it go and give it a fighting chance. I’m not a runner, so it’d be fight to the death. Oh, no weapons allowed, especially rocks. 

I certainly wouldn’t want to give an interview about slaying a mountain lion while in fact it was a mountain kitten, that’s just bad form.
CO Climber wrote: 

LOL. Those Californians. 
Comparing a grossly overweight Garfield house cat to an angry cougar. Everybody i know punts 50 lbs pitbulls for fun. Most adults and dogs would get shredded by a bobcat. 

Who’s from California?

being attacked by a Bobcat (35lbs) is still way different than a Mountain Lion (120-220lbs). I have spent time around both in the wild & at a Animal Sanctuary for injured animals where I worked.  
10 lb Yorkie vs 64 lb Pitbull 
Stephen C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
PosiDave wrote:

Who’s from California?

being attacked by a Bobcat (35lbs) is still way different than a Mountain Lion (120-220lbs). I have spent time around both in the wild & at a Animal Sanctuary for injured animals where I worked.  
10 lb Yorkie vs 64 lb Pitbull 

You do know mountain lions and bobcats are different species right? The trail runner was attacked by a male juvenile mountain lion. Oh.....and I think being attacked by a mountain lion is probably a bit different than a big fat main coon. Just a thought.

Stephen C wrote:

You do know mountain lions and bobcats are different species right? The trail runner was attacked by a male juvenile mountain lion. Oh.....and I think being attacked by a mountain lion is probably a bit different than a big fat main coon. Just a thought.

Yes I do understand that. 

Ok would a 10lb pitbull be comparable to a64lb fighting pitbull? Either way you look at it, it’s not like the dude has balls of steel like people are pretending. Shitty either way, but people have been attacked by grizzlys/lions and lived to tell the story
This would be a 3 month old Mountain Lion for reference 
Jim Turner · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 295

Here’s a case study of a 110 lb cougar against a 145 lb guy in Colorado.  The cougar was able to puncture his jugular before he knew what hit him.

I’d bet a 40 pounder could do that.  It has all the tools to do so.  The trail runner in Fort Collins happened to hear the cat coming and got his hands up in time to protect his head and neck.  So, I’m impressed even if some people think “Oh no problemo, I could’ve done that”.

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S0953-9859(92)71262-5/pdf​​​

Jim Turner wrote: Here’s a case study of a 110 lb cougar against a 145 lb guy in Colorado.  The cougar was able to puncture his jugular before he knew what hit him.

I’d bet a 40 pounder could do that.  It has all the tools to do so.  The trail runner in Fort Collins happened to hear the cat coming and got his hands up in time to protect his head and neck.  So, I’m impressed even if some people think “Oh no problemo, I could’ve done that”.

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S0953-9859(92)71262-5/pdf

The cat attacked because it was skinnier than it should have been (not at the point of starving) because it wasnt old enough to hunt on it own and it’s mother died. That’s like saying your toddler can cook it’s own food because you can.

Edit: They found it’s two siblings that partially ate the carcass because they were deemedUncapable of successfully being able to capture prey/survive on their own in the wild. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Runner kills lion"