Mountain Project Logo

Reel Rock 13

Original Post
Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Just a heads up, looks like Reel Rock 13 will be released tomorrow.  Looks like only a Vimeo download.  

https://senderfilms.com/productions/details/2738/REEL-ROCK-13

Cris Garcia · · Michigan · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 5
Brad Johnson wrote: Just a heads up, looks like Reel Rock 13 will be released tomorrow.  Looks like only a Vimeo download.  

https://senderfilms.com/productions/details/2738/REEL-ROCK-13

I will be buying this immediately lol

Bob Klaas · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 91

In my opinion.

Reel Rock 12: Sharma's Deep Water Soloing was breathtaking and the footage was stunning. Brad's story was intense, funny, and overall epic at the same time. Margo's story was amazing. It was hard not to feel your heart strings tug when she clipped the anchors on La Ramble. Such an awesome display of climbing achievement and style. Plus all the back story into women's climbing was really engaging. Then to finish it off, I found Stumped to be really funny. The desire to climb hard was super relate-able; as were all the characters. It was just another great climbing story. Every story had a firm direction and told a meaningful story.

Reel Rock 13: None of these stories were really relate-able to me. I felt this was because the stories didn't really have a real direction. Short interview, show climbing footage, repeat. No real solid story line. I felt a little baby stoke at times during the Northface expedition story. Maybe it was because of the classic A team characters and humor of the team suffer fest. But, in total, I just felt a little sad after watching it. Reel Rock 12 was such a good film, I selfishly wanted to experience another epic film. But, that was not the case. Oh well, sigh. Maybe next year.

Short Version: Skip Reel Rock 13. Buy Reel Rock 12 instead.

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 157

Was I the only one who felt like the Antarctica expedition was akin to watching a 20 minute North Face commercial? 

Bob Klaas wrote: In my opinion.

Reel Rock 12: Sharma's Deep Water Soloing was breathtaking and the footage was stunning. Brad's story was intense, funny, and overall epic at the same time. Margo's story was amazing. It was hard not to feel your heart strings tug when she clipped the anchors on La Ramble. Such an awesome display of climbing achievement and style. Plus all the back story into women's climbing was really engaging. Then to finish it off, I found Stumped to be really funny. The desire to climb hard was super relate-able; as were all the characters. It was just another great climbing story. Every story had a firm direction and told a meaningful story.

Reel Rock 13: None of these stories were really relate-able to me. I felt this was because the stories and composition of those stories didn't really have a real direction. Short interview, show climbing footage, repeat. No real solid story line. I felt a little baby stoke at times during the Northface expedition story. Maybe it was because of the classic A team characters and humor of the team suffer fest. But, in total, I just felt a little sad after watching it. Reel Rock 12 was such a good film, I selfishly wanted to experience another epic film. But, that was not the case. Oh well, sigh. Maybe next year.

Skip Reel Rock 13. Buy Reel Rock 12 instead.

Awesome reading your opinion! And although I share the same emotions for reel rock 12 I can’t say we’re on the same road for 13. Although I can’t say any of the stories we’re relatable(and I wish the speed climbing bit was removed all togeather) I still got some awesome stoke from the Antarctica expedition and from age of Ondra. 12 was amazing! 13 was definitively a more rounded movie and had more direction but much like a favorite album their next piece almost never satisfies due to comparison rather than experience. 

The Antarctica expedition was an awesome trip further into the unknown. I probably won’t ever go to Antarctica for anything really however it’s rejuvinating to see such beautiful landscapes and see some favorite characters play on such cosmic features. Beautiful from the cinematography standpoint. I would love seeing anything including cedar, Alex, Conrad and the rest of the crew again simply because of how much I love their characteristics.  It was an amazing mix of personalities.
Age of ondra was one of the most amazing bits I’ve seen in a while. Simple because it gave such a deep insight into the mind of ondra. I have a huuuuuge interest in studyin anthropology and through the whole film I couldn’t help but pick him apart. I really do believe he falls in the autistic spectrum, the amount of focus, dedication and love he has for the sport is mind boggling. I would consider myself an enthusiast of climbing in general as I spend countless hours learning the history ,inner workings of gear etc but he is just on a completely different scale. The way his mind must operate is mind bending. 
Buy both 12 and 13!!
Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 785

I really liked the Wadi rum story since I've been planning on going there for the last couple years. The Queen Maude land bit had just enough history inserted for me to find it fascinating. I actually really liked the age of ondra, especially since I've been hooked on his vlogs lately. He seems really down to earth and humble for being so above and beyond any other climber on earth.

Didn't give two shits about the speed climbing film. 

Bob Klaas · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 91
Cris Garcia wrote:

Awesome reading your opinion! And although I share the same emotions for reel rock 12 I can’t say we’re on the same road for 13. Although I can’t say any of the stories we’re relatable(and I wish the speed climbing bit was removed all togeather) I still got some awesome stoke from the Antarctica expedition and from age of Ondra. 12 was amazing! 13 was definitively a more rounded movie and had more direction but much like a favorite album their next piece almost never satisfies due to comparison rather than experience. 

The Antarctica expedition was an awesome trip further into the unknown. I probably won’t ever go to Antarctica for anything really however it’s rejuvinating to see such beautiful landscapes and see some favorite characters play on such cosmic features. Beautiful from the cinematography standpoint. I would love seeing anything including cedar, Alex, Conrad and the rest of the crew again simply because of how much I love their characteristics.  It was an amazing mix of personalities.
Age of ondra was one of the most amazing bits I’ve seen in a while. Simple because it gave such a deep insight into the mind of ondra. I have a huuuuuge interest in studyin anthropology and through the whole film I couldn’t help but pick him apart. I really do believe he falls in the autistic spectrum, the amount of focus, dedication and love he has for the sport is mind boggling. I would consider myself an enthusiast of climbing in general as I spend countless hours learning the history ,inner workings of gear etc but he is just on a completely different scale. The way his mind must operate is mind bending. 
Buy both 12 and 13!!

I did enjoy parts of the Antarctica expedition. Mainly for the visuals and the humor of that crew. However, the story was forked in three different directions and then compressed into a 25 minute window. That didn't leave much time for the viewer to be part of the expedition. That's why it fell short for me. But maybe it turned out that way because its such a remote destination to shoot. Also, maybe making a film wasn't really a priority. Which, would make sense.

Ondra has a 50 minute time slot in the movie. He's a phenomenal climber without question. But, I guess I felt like I'd already seen and heard many the topics discussed in that part. It probably could have been shortened a bit. With all the Black Diamond videos about him, it didn't really feel like new content to me. However, I can see how his part could be interesting for reasons outside of just climbing as well. No argument there.

As far as speed climbing goes, I guess you either love it, or you don't. So, I can objectively critique that one. Maybe it will be rad bit for someone who's pumped on speed climbing.

The Wadi Rum story had some really beautiful visuals. However, the story kind of matched the route in a way. It felt unfinished.

Disclosure: Opinion is subjective. Mine is no different.
Bennett G · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

I really liked the Antarctica film because it was mainly showing a bunch of interesting characters going out on an adventure and having fun. I thought that the wadi rum movie was cool yet forgettable. Age of Ondra was a really cool film and character study but I felt like it ran on for too long. The speed climbing film was an interesting insight into the world of speed comps and I thought it was funny but not worth rewatching.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 100

I loved the Age of Ondra, but I thought the speed climbing piece was the most amazing. People spending years climbing the same exact route, omg! And if you skip a hold you get it named after you. Hahaha!

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I did enjoy the Age of Ondra, but I feel like so much of it was reissued/reused footage from media he's put out.  The rest was ehh okay. 

normajean wrote: I loved the Age of Ondra, but I thought the speed climbing piece was the most amazing. People spending years climbing the same exact route, omg! And if you skip a hold you get it named after you. Hahaha!

Shut the hell up bahahaha 

I dont mean any harm other than i had no clue you guys really existed!
Its wild to me that people can get stoked on the same route over and over haha they dont even use all of the holds and he slapped that bitch up there in like 3 hours i think he said bahaha
Glad you liked it man! Good hearing someone did at least.
Im wondering if you guys that like speed climbing also find it weird that people get hyped up watching someone boulder or lead or if you just like all 3 disciplines.
Cheers man happy climbing! :)
Ryan Gittins · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 30
Cris Garcia wrote:

Shut the hell up bahahaha 

I dont mean any harm other than i had no clue you guys really existed!
Its wild to me that people can get stoked on the same route over and over haha they dont even use all of the holds and he slapped that bitch up there in like 3 hours i think he said bahaha
Glad you liked it man! Good hearing someone did at least.
Im wondering if you guys that like speed climbing also find it weird that people get hyped up watching someone boulder or lead or if you just like all 3 disciplines.
Cheers man happy climbing! :)

Ryan Gittins · · San Diego · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 30

Says the sport climber.
JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Sounds like climbing has jumped the shark.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 90

not.psyched.at.all.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Reel Rock 13"