Mountain Project Logo

GIS professionals/students

Gilman Coryell · · Mount Vernon, ME · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

ESRI is the Devil.

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 250

Anyone in the Denver/Boulder area want to make some money this coming Sunday tutoring me in some of the material.  Specifically, geodetic datums; projection methods and coordinate systems; and vectors and rasters are what I need help with at the moment.  Or can someone point me in the direction of a tutor?

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Learning from another human might be more effective, but FYI:

https://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-str-001-geographic-information-system-gis-tutorial-january-iap-2016/
https://www.gislounge.com/learn-gis-for-free/

patrick wild · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 30
Gilman Coryell wrote: ESRI is the Devil.

Why? Just because they release buggy, immature software, then depend on their clients to sort it out? Not so much the Devil, more like Pauly.

I'll be at esri Dev Summit in Palm Springs first week of March and I am looking for JTree partners. I have full availability March 2-4 and plan on bringing a rack. I'm solid on 5.10, but would be psyched to get on harder stuff with the right partner.
patrick wild wrote:

Not so much the Devil, more like Pauly.

wrd.

Turner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 277

I've really struggled with finding a good work/life balance in GIS. It seems most GIS work will get you stuck in a cubicle.

I've worked jobs that have a field component, Forest Service/Climbing Ranger type position but typically this is more seasonal temp work.

Anyone have a GIS career recommendation for someone who is not made for cubicle life?

Bill Mustard · · Silt, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 76

Im currently writing from a cubicle working on DEM files. Its not fun or enjoyable. I dont have any suggestions for GIS work outside an office. 

As I sit in my cubicle searching for data, mashing through data, leveraging data, or just #v!&!%* rubber-sheeting scans (or sometimes phone photos) of marked up PDFs and using my 64 Count Crayon Set With Built-In Sharpener, I often think of these words;

"Waiting for a mission. Getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker. And every minute Charlie squats in the bush...he gets stronger.  Each time I looked around...the walls moved in a little tighter."

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 187

I'm currently working on creating dam inundation maps which has been some of the more interesting GIS work I have been able to do. Unfortunately the nature of GIS work requires large amounts of time spend behind a computer screen typically in an office setting. If you're looking to spend time outside, get into the surveying side of things. Our survey crews spend every day outside, sometimes for months on end. 

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Add me to the soul sucking work department, luckily it's only part of my job. If you're invested into the outcome and purpose behind the GIS work I think it can be rewarding but honestly it leaves a lot to be desired in my book.

Drewski Brewski · · OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Surveying might be an angle.  I have a geography degree and currently do civil engineering work.  It has been a meaningful path for me but getting a job with fieldwork is a bonus but will likely pay less.  Surveying  can get you outside and can pay ok.  A little less creative work but can get you outside a lot.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "GIS professionals/students"