Mountain Project Logo

Red Rock - Mid March

Original Post
Alex M. Smith · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 95

I'm sure this has come up before so feel free to direct me accordingly. Looking to take a trip to Red Rock mid March of this year. Wondering if it gets crazy due to folks having spring break at that time of year? I've heard it gets busy regardless, so if its extra busy, I'd be curious to hear what that is like. Can you find easy/moderate routes without a ton of folks? Pardon my ignorance, just trying to get a feel of what to expect to see if that's a spot I want to target or not. Thanks in advance!

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,423

Spring is very busy, arguably the best time of the year to climb here.  For the exact reason you're thinking of coming.  Get up early if you want to be head of the conga line.

Bailey Hoover · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I went there last year over my spring break and, honestly, I think it just depends on where you are looking to climb. The sport crags are usually heinous to try and navigate, but I did a route in Black Velvet Canyon and the only other party I actually saw out there was a 2 man team that was sharing a house with us that week. (With that being said, Epinephrine is also in BVC and there was probably a horde just around the corner from me- luckily I couldn't see or hear them!) I think generally just have an idea of alternative plans and be flexible. There is a lot of climbing in that park, be smart about it and I am sure you'll be just fine!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Red Rock - Mid March"