Mountain Project Logo

SE Iowa climbing

Original Post
Cody D · · SE Iowa · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

I'm not really a climber (yet), but I'd like to be. I live in SE Iowa, which has ZERO routes on MP. Closest is about 3 hrs away in Missouri or NE Iowa. However, there are some (I think) climbable cliffs on  public land here, so I thought I would post some pictures. I think it would be bouldering or top rope only.

Location is just south of Ottumwa, IA. Google Garrison Rock Resource Management Unit to find it.

Bill Mustard · · Silt, CO · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 161

If you go ground up, no one can judge you 

Ryan Dirks · · Washington D.C. · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 5

Have you looked at Pictured Rocks or Palisades SP?  I'd be surprised if they were 3 hours away unless you live close to the MO border.  Palisades has a few decent moderate topropes with a nice view.  Pictured Rocks is a bit further for you but has more routes, higher difficulty, and is bolted (so you would need someone to lead climb).

I would get confirmation from someone with the county / state before climbing at Garrison Rock, to avoid jeopardizing access for climbers.

AKSClimbs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 4,698

Great find and thank you for sharing. I agree with the post above, if access is not an issue, you’ve found a gem for us because the rock in some sections looks clean and strong. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Just climb it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "SE Iowa climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started