Mountain Project Logo

Best stick clipping system?

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

I got a beta stick (the new one looks better for sure though) so I could travel with it. It has been very good for that. I like the super clip otherwise though.

To the OP, the length you need will all depend on the route.  If you go to the red the first bolt is typically way up there, my beta has trouble reaching at times. This has been a non issue in CO/WY/NM.

I also like how easy it is to bring up the beta and stick finish a route to easily get your gear back. It has been very good for me to get on harder routes when my partners will not be able to help finish it. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
David Kerkeslager wrote: Is there any reason for poles longer than, say, 12 feet? I haven't seen any bolts more than I could reach with a 12 foot pole, but I have mostly trad climbed, not sport climbed, so maybe I just haven't been to the right place?
Yes. I've lost count of the number of times I've encountered first bolts at 15' - 25'; Skaha, NRG, Mt. Lemmon, Smith, CofR, perhaps a few others. I use a 20' pole from Home Despot.

Dude, you really need to get away from the Gunks more often!
David Kerkeslager · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 137
Marc801 C wrote: Dude, you really need to get away from the Gunks more often!

I just spent three weeks at T-wall... climbing trad. :)

Samuel Trimboli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 77

Beta stick. Packs easily/ you don’t have a 4/5’ Painters poll to carry around and fit in your car. . Hits most high first bolts no problem. Also good for stick clipping up routes if necessary. I’ve had a couple issues with its durability but all the damages have so far been repairable. 

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 351

I live in the south and do a shitload of stick clipping. Bolts can be pretty high up there depending on the crag, so you should make sure you get one that is long enough. Get a super clip for sure. They're durable, simple, and they do everything you need them to do.

I've used three different extension poles. This one is probably the one I'd recommend. It's the longest, sometimes we can even get the third bolt with it -- some routes are short enough we can hang almost all the draws with this bad boy. It's also pretty solid when fully extended so you don't get a lot of flex and sway at the end. The extension locks can get broken on them though if you slam them on a rock. You can tape them back up to fix them though, so it's not a huge deal and it's not too hard to avoid.

I currently have this one. It can be a bit short for some of the higher first bolts. Usually I can reach anything I need to with it though, but I'm 6' tall. Sometimes I have to stand on a rock. It's too flexible when extended though, and it's kind of annoying when attempting to retrieve draws. But it's also probably the most durable in the sense that the extension locks on it are the least likely to break (they haven't thus far). 

This was my first one. It's actually my favorite of the three with the clear exception that the locking mechanism started to fail pretty quickly due to sand and dirt getting inside of it. I was able to clean it and keep it going for a while, but it was finnicky to say the least.

Eric Carlos · · depends · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40
Alexander Stathis wrote: I live in the south and do a shitload of stick clipping. Bolts can be pretty high up there depending on the crag, so you should make sure you get one that is long enough. Get a super clip for sure. They're durable, simple, and they do everything you need them to do.

I've used three different extension poles. This one is probably the one I'd recommend. It's the longest, sometimes we can even get the third bolt with it -- some routes are short enough we can hang almost all the draws with this bad boy. It's also pretty solid when fully extended so you don't get a lot of flex and sway at the end. The extension locks can get broken on them though if you slam them on a rock. You can tape them back up to fix them though, so it's not a huge deal and it's not too hard to avoid.

I currently have this one. It can be a bit short for some of the higher first bolts. Usually I can reach anything I need to with it though, but I'm 6' tall. Sometimes I have to stand on a rock. It's too flexible when extended though, and it's kind of annoying when attempting to retrieve draws. But it's also probably the most durable in the sense that the extension locks on it are the least likely to break (they haven't thus far).

This was my first one. It's actually my favorite of the three with the clear exception that the locking mechanism started to fail pretty quickly due to sand and dirt getting inside of it. I was able to clean it and keep it going for a while, but it was finnicky to say the least.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ettore-REA-C-H-5-ft-to-16-ft-Telescoping-Threaded-Extension-Pole/3399646  my fav to go with the superclip.  

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 351
Eric Carlos wrote:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ettore-REA-C-H-5-ft-to-16-ft-Telescoping-Threaded-Extension-Pole/3399646  my fav to go with the superclip.  

Right. That's the one I said I'd recommend. 

John Butler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

Super clip on Avi probe. Tape wrap to get a snug fit. Light and compact, albeit a bit too floppy for some tastes...

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

You can make a superclip by bending a wire hanger.

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 881
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,030
Jon Rhoderick wrote: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/accessories/pongoose_climber_700_-_3-in-1_clipstick-9658

I think this would be a good product to reach the US

We’ve seen it in action in Spain a couple of weeks ago. Works quite well. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best stick clipping system?"