Mountain Project Logo

Winter Mountaineering/Hiking Recommendations - Considering Avalanche Safety

Original Post
Mike V. · · Logan, UT · Joined May 2010 · Points: 49

New to Logan, UT and have extensive winter hiking experience in the northeast. One thing I neglected to account for is the need to manage avalanche risk while planning hikes in winter. Does anyone have recommendations (beyond AIARE certification) to help us get out hiking in the near term?

Specifically looking for areas where hiking/mountaineering is considered low risk.

Thanks!

Travis Bianucci · · Logan · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5

Are you looking for something with snowshoes and skis and trying to summit some mountains, or some nice winter trails that see a lot of traffic?

I prefer to get a good amount of gain in along the way, so mostly snowshoes (or crampons if the conditions call for it - but in the NE crampons were typically only used for bulletproof ice as we never got true neve snow conditions). For reference, we've done green canyon a bunch of times (hiked to the yurt, a bunch of trail runs, and xc skiing.

For hiking, we've gone up the ridge to the north of green canyon and made it as far as the bump here:

But even for that, the last 1/4 mile above the ridge seemed to be in terrain where I might have needed better awareness/knowledge about snow stability issues.

BC ski is on the TODO list. I have a splitboard but I've never done any real touring with it ( just Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt Washington)
Rox · · Salt Lake City, UT | Squami… · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 15

The Utah Avalanche Center provides a daily forecast that is extremely helpful to read before heading out. If you hike every weekend, you should be reading it everyday so that you can really learn what is going on in the snowpack. They also provide backcountry 101 courses specific to snowshoers that are a good starting point if an AIARE course seems too much. 
https://utahavalanchecenter.org

Gee Dubble wrote: Please consider a more experienced avalanche education provider than AIARE. 

What (dis)advantages of AIARE are you specifically concerned about? Where else should I be looking?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Winter Mountaineering/Hiking Recommendations -…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started