Mountain Project Logo

Thoughts on this crampon fit

Original Post
Chris K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

So, I have a pair of Spantiks size 44 that I’m trying to get crampons fit to. Petzl Sarken seem to fit the best so far. The rear snaps in nice and this toe bar seems to fit best. Is this an ok fit?

Andrew Delia · · Seattle · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

looks good from here

Tom Sherman · · Bristol, RI · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 417

Looks fucking rad, too bad it's with sarkens! **lol

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Fit looks reasonable. FYI the Spantik has a lot of rocker in the sole, so it's not surprising that the crampon and front sole don't fit perfectly together. It would probably work fine as is, but you may notice a better fit with a Grivel toe bail (i.e G20/G22 bail) as it has a smooth radius and not the multiple bend points.

Chris K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
Linnaeus wrote: Fit looks reasonable. FYI the Spantik has a lot of rocker in the sole, so it's not surprising that the crampon and front sole don't fit perfectly together. It would probably work fine as is, but you may notice a better fit with a Grivel toe bail (i.e G20/G22 bail) as it has a smooth radius and not the multiple bend points.

I was aware of the rocker sole - it curves up quite a bit at the ends of the boot. I’ve never fit step-in crampons before so I wasn’t totally certain about the fit. Thanks for the reply. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800
Tom Sherman wrote: Looks fucking rad, too bad it's with sarkens! **lol

That little gap under the toe might cause the frontpoints to bounce/rattle/flex a bit when striking the ice. IME this is a bigger problem the harder the ice is. If this becomes a concern, I say it's the crampons rather than the fit. Borrow a friend's Lynx, Cyborg, or some other top waterfall ice crampon and see if there's a difference. If all you need the crampon for is really hard, steep snow, then the Sarken should be fine even with this fit.

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,187

To followup what Mike said about the gap in the front. Move the front bail back from the center position. That will move the boot back some so you will need to increase the length by a notch. That will close the gap while exposing more of the front points.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Thoughts on this crampon fit"