Mountain Project Logo

Difference between dedicated tag line and 6/7 mm accessory cord

Original Post
Jon.R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 5

Any reason to buy a dedicated tag line (>$$) as oppose to just purchasing ~65 m of 6/7 mm accessory cord from the local gear shop....other than the store employee might hate me?

edit to add: would be looking at similar diameters for packaged tag lines and accessory cord, I understand the correlations between weight/diameter/tangles

Jacob Kantor · · Palo Alto · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 30

Nope! But you should also consider the Beal Escaper.

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

I have a 7mm cord that I’ve used on really weight critical trips. It works, but it’s significantly worse than the 8mm semi-static dedicated trail line I usually use. The cord tangles and hangs up on features way more than the trail line and it’s a bit harder to pull.

Also, much less durable. The cord is in considerably worse shape after 5 long routes than the trail line is after 10+ years of use. 

Curt Haire · · leavenworth, wa · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1

both are low-stretch ("static").  main differences are weight and ease of handling. thinner cord = lighter; fatter = heavier.  fatter cord will generally handle better, especially for hauling.  consider how you'll most likely use it, and decide whether weight or handling is the more critical factor for you.  if you go thin and change your mind, you'll have a lifetime supply of cordelette...    pre-cut, packaged, labeled/marketed specifically as "tag line" likely means your paying more for it.  I've seen cheap hardware-store poly rope used as tag-lines, and as fixed-lines on big expedition routes.

. Mobes · · MDI · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865

Imagine 1/2" webbing

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450
Rob T wrote: I have a 7mm cord that I’ve used on really weight critical trips. It works, but it’s significantly worse than the 8mm semi-static dedicated trail line I usually use. The cord tangles and hangs up on features way more than the trail line and it’s a bit harder to pull.

Also, much less durable. The cord is in considerably worse shape after 5 long routes than the trail line is after 10+ years of use. 

This. 

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 7,609

Buy whatever you are willing to rap on over rough terrain.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Difference between dedicated tag line and 6/7 m…"