Mountain Project Logo

Redheads

Original Post
Kent Krauza · · Vancouver Island · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I’ve seen some negative opinions toward the Redhead brand but nothing specific as to why. We recently had a box of 1/2” 316 SS Redheads generously donated to our cause of re-bolting sport routes at a couple 25 year old local crags. Can anyone shed light on what’s “wrong” with Redheads?

chris righter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 286

I’ve had them sheer off under recommended  torque. I think quality control is a bit on the low side to trust ones life too.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 65

can you elaborate a bit on what size, style, etc, Redhead, Chris, or any other specifics of that situation?

It was about 7 years ago.  They were 1/2 inch wedge anchors.  I believe it is the one they call the Trubolt on their website.  It was placed in granite while installing a 2 bolt anchor.  Nothing out of the ordinary when drilling the hole or hammering it in.  It sheered off at the base of the nut while tightening with torque wrench.  Very sobering to say the least.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 1,153

Chris, any chance you mean 3/8" wedge with a 9/16" nut?  Snapping one of those is possible but 1/2" is so much metal, I find it really hard to fathom. 

Rprps, I'm a 100% sure it was 1/2 in.  Ive used Powers 5 piece or glue ins ever since.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 1,153

Wow. That is pretty incredible. Thanks for sharing 

C. Williams · · the Climber Cave · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,258

A few years ago (10?) there was a batch of plated steel Trubolts with some defects causing shearing at lower torque values. Most of these were 3/8" though. I remember opening a box at a job to find half a dozen bolts with obvious defects. I believe this was when ITW started manufacturing their plated products in China.

All that said, I've placed thousands of the stainless Trubolts between route development and concrete work, both 304 and 316. The stainless bolts are manufactured in the USA with US or Canadian stainless stock (so I'm told). In my experience they reach torque specs quite reliably, I might have 1 in 500 that doesn't tighten correctly. I actually prefer Redheads over Powers Power-Studs as the latter seem to become spinners more frequently when initially tightened.

Kent, I would have no issue using your bolts for rebolting.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Redheads"