Mountain Project Logo

Off-roading Tires

Original Post
Tyler Cruise · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

What brand of tires is best for off-roading? Mickey Thompson Tires or Nitto? I need to buy a set for my F-150. Any advice will be appreciated. 

Koy · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55

Nitto Ridge or Trail Grapplers are good.  Check out the BFG All Terrain T/A's as well.  Toyo Open Country is one to check out.

I don't know much about Mickey Thompson, except that they are pricey.

Rokjox Teleski · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

Worst feature of off road tires is on road racket and wander.   Those treads are the worst for road noise. And seeing how, unless you actually LIVE on a real farm, 950 miles out of every thousand miles driven is actually going to be on an interstate or other macadam, your choice is kinda unimportant actually.  And none of them big tread stuff works so amazing good on snow and ice actually.   Weight spreads out too much and you get no traction anyway... its why they invented chains...  Big wheels is for mudding.

That said, nobody gets laughed at with the BFG TA's, they can tear up  and ruin a roadbed just fine, and they are an ok compromise with 70 or 80 MPH.

...really, focus on the other hours of the trip, vast distances at high speeds... the last few miles are over rated.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Off-roading Tires"