Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations: 1 Day Alpine Climbs

Original Post
Pamela Breckenridge · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Would love to know of more 1 day climbs in the PNW! Something to use my ice axe and get my boots out of the closet!

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Oh man where to start.  Depending on the time of the year, in Washington, here is a nice list.

1. Mt. Adams
2. Mt. St. Helen's
3. Colchuck Peak
4. Dragon Tail Peak
(You can link these if you are really fast)
5. Just a jaunt up Asgard Pass to the Enchantments core zone is nice, and would probs be best served with an ice axe in early season
6. Chair Peak (Better in the winter)
7.  The Tooth
8.  A hike to camp Muir on Rainier

I mean there are to many to list.  Once the weather turns, the North Cascades has a ton of one day climbs.  Not sure if you are looking for more snow climbs, mixed, or technical rock, but you won't have a shortage of any in the PNW.  If you have a weekend, your possibilities grow with the option of a bunch of 1.5 day outings, with a bivy and an alpine start.

Grab Blake Herrington's Cascade Rock guidebook, as well as the Washington Pass Climbing Guide.  These should keep you busy.

Have fun and be Safe.  If you are venturing out soon make sure to check snow conditions on NWAC.  I haven't been out this winter but read a lot about the hairy conditions in the area right now.

See this thread for more details: mountainproject.com/forum/t…

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

there is a dallas kloke book, i think it is called "winter climbs one day ascents - western cascades: canadian border to snoqualmie pass", that has some fun one-day winter stuff.  it varies from low key easy snow touring summits to slightly heinous endevours.  if you look on cascadedclimbers.com you should be able to round up a copy.

Pamela Breckenridge · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks so much!!!

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Hood, and Ranier if conditions are good and you are feeling good.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Recommendations: 1 Day Alpine Climbs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started