Mountain Project Logo

Outdoor Research Bitterblaze Gloves

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505
Kyle Tarry wrote: Does anybody have both the Alibi II and Mixalot gloves to comment on how they compare?

I have a pair of the Alibi II and like them a lot, but they are pretty minimal in terms of warmth and insulation.  Wondering if the Mixalot is similar, or warmer?

I've tried some of the other popular gloves from OR (Stormtracker, Super Vert) and found that the fingers are often too long and as such they don't work for me on lead.  Too bad, because the level of warmth and insulation was just about right.

Mixalot has almost no padding and a snuffer fit, much colder than the alibi. The alibi is much warmer and is more enjoyable to climb ice and most mixed stuff with, I only use the mixalot for hard dry and mixed atuff.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528
Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Mixalot has almost no padding and a snuffer fit, much colder than the alibi. The alibi is much warmer and is more enjoyable to climb ice and most mixed stuff with, I only use the mixalot for hard dry and mixed atuff.

Thanks a lot Kevin!  It's hard to imagine the Alibi II being "much warmer" than anything but a bare hand, but I'll take your word for it!  You probably saved me a disappointing purchase. :)

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

I demoed the bitterblaze at an ice fest for a day. Seemed to be sized really big and had slop in the tips, I tried on a medium after climbing in a large and it felt better. Seems like a great glove for long and really cold moderate leads as it was nimble enough to work, but the warmth certainly came at a cost to dexterity, and I switched to my Home Depot husky work gloves since it was a warm day(30) and my hands were overheating. 

Mic W · · Drake, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 10
Kyle Tarry wrote: Does anybody have both the Alibi II and Mixalot gloves to comment on how they compare?

I have a pair of the Alibi II and like them a lot, but they are pretty minimal in terms of warmth and insulation.  Wondering if the Mixalot is similar, or warmer?

I've tried some of the other popular gloves from OR (Stormtracker, Super Vert) and found that the fingers are often too long and as such they don't work for me on lead.  Too bad, because the level of warmth and insulation was just about right.

Mixalot is a wee bit thinner. I am 1 size smaller in Mixalot, vs Alibi II. It's a stretchy glove,  think neoprene 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Outdoor Research Bitterblaze Gloves"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started