Mountain Project Logo

Workout between hangboard sets?

Original Post
Todd Ra · · Golden · Joined May 2014 · Points: 50

Anyone use those 2-3 minute breaks between hangboard sets to do some push ups, dips, core stuff, or anything like that? Any reason not to do it??
Trying to finally train more efficiently and consistently, and damn those 2-3 minute breaks between sets really add up and bore the hell out of me! 

Colin J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I do! Mostly core, but sometimes push ups and whatever too. 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

I do the same but avoid using my arms at all.

Danny Poceta · · Calgary · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 40

I just lie on a foam roller

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

I plank for 2 of the 3 min.

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 436

Pushups or dips.  I stay away from core because you can actually engage some core while hang boarding.  

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

Aren't pushups 'core?' Basically a moving plank. Maybe short bursts of a few reps....

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

I usually take that time to drink water, chalk up, and shake it off like T-Swift.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,030

If using RCTMptotocol, I feel that there isn’t enough time there for more than switching the weights, taking a sip of water, and chalking up. So no.

But is Steve Becktel’s version, you alternate hangboard sets with various stretches, pushups, deadlifts, etc. 

Mike Knight · · Canton, Mi · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 50

Wall sits.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 80

stir the frying pan, chop additional vegetables.  

Jason Schmidt · · Portland, OR · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 15

If crying in the fetal position is a workout, then yes. ;) 

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 585

I'm with Lena--depends on the protocol. I've found that as I get older, RCTM or similar "short" period hangboarding doesn't provide the consistency I need in connective tissue maintenance throughout the year and I end up with finger/hand injuries. I've been using the Bechtel style "long" view for 18 months or so and have had greater success in slow, progressive loading to prep for the next year or more of climbing as opposed to the next season.

One of the motivations Bechtel offers for lifting between hang sets is to increase hormonal response, which should yield greater gains than just the neuromuscular response in the forearms (which aren't typically considered large enough muscle groups to cause significant hormonal response to loading). Basically, using some bigger muscles during the same workout makes the hangboarding more effective. I don't have a link to the direct research, but he mentioned this during a podcast with Kris Hampton, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to dig up.

So, if you have the surplus energy to do some other strength work between sets, probably not a bad strategy.

Danny · · brooklyn, ny · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 25

yeah i do core during the 2 minute break between max hang sets. i try to avoid using arms.

Ned Plimpton · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 110

I've been doing sets of ten thrusters (hold dumbbells in a shoulder press position, do a deep squat, transition into a shoulder press at the top of the squat)  in between sets.  Uses just about every big muscle in your body with minimal forearm use.  A set goes by quickly and definitely gets the heart rate up/counts toward the metabolic/GH boost.  

Ross Peritore · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2007 · Points: 70

deadlifts or squats

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Workout between hangboard sets?"