Mountain Project Logo

bad apples in the partner forum

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
mediocre wrote:

Well, your profile says you live in Durango which is a fucking expensive town to live in.

Yet you’re obviously still on your parents dime since there are major financial reasons not to claim CO residency, I’m guessing healthcare. So you have the luxury of pursuing a liberal arts degree ( I’m guessing) from Fort Lewis, but correct me if I’m wrong because I think engineering might be the only science degree you can make money from. And unless you’re different from 99% of the engineering majors I know/have known you’re not working. But I bet you’re climbing because you’d be crazy not to in SW CO. 

How close am I?

Privilege sounds like a good thing to me! I'm all for it.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 111
mediocre wrote:

Well, your profile says you live in Durango which is a fucking expensive town to live in.

Yet you’re obviously still on your parents dime since there are major financial reasons not to claim CO residency, I’m guessing healthcare. So you have the luxury of pursuing a liberal arts degree ( I’m guessing) from Fort Lewis, but correct me if I’m wrong because I think engineering might be the only science degree you can make money from. And unless you’re different from 99% of the engineering majors I know/have known you’re not working. But I bet you’re climbing because you’d be crazy not to in SW CO. 

How close am I?

Knock it off dude and try to stay on topic.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 507
mediocre wrote:

How close am I?

Yes Durango is an expensive town to live in correct. I am pursuing a degree in Adventure Education which certainly isn't known for being lucrative. I live like a typical college student, spending less than $150 on food, less than I make working part time. I live about as humbly as one can in Durango without living in their vehicle.

But yes, I am privileged enough to have parents who are willing and able to pay for my room and board while I'm in school. Anyways, lets not further derail this thread, if you would like to continue this conversation feel free to PM me, I'm always happy to be informed about just about anything. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Fair enough everyone.
I apologize for my thread drift. Eli you don’t sound like a bad guy. You’re just much more upbeat than my life-earned jadeism. 
If I were still in Durango I’d offer you a beer or a cup of coffee and a belay. Carry on. 

David Tennant · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 2,041

As another suggestion, adding a "Comments" section on a users page, that looks just like the comments section on all the route pages, could allow a way to give a reference to someone you've climbed with, without having a review system or creating a forum post to give feedback to someone you've met up with. Users with more comments may have a better time getting picked. Then you could see the people who left the comment if you want to privately ask them about the user.

Hopefully this would be a focus on identifying the good apples vs identifying the bad ones. I'd have to imagine it'd be an easier one to implement considering almost all other pages on MP have a comments section. 

Try Cam · · Ft. Wayne, IN · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Eli, way to offer a classy response there. Impressed.

Ron O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

If pointing out bad apples is beset with potential problems, perhaps the best path is to seek a partner with lots of positive feedback

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Women's Forum
Post a Reply to "bad apples in the partner forum"

There is ZERO tolerance for being a jerk in the Women's Forum.