Mountain Project Logo

Sun in Joshua Tree in January

Original Post
Alex Davis · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 5

Can someone remind me what the rule of thumb is for finding sunny routes in JT in January?  South facing in the early morning, and move towards west facing routes as the the day progresses?  I tried looking at the sun/shade widget on MP but not certain I'm interpreting it correctly.  Thanks in advance.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 50

Just go there and climb a fun looking route in the sun. There are many hundreds to choose from.

Brian ~+~+~+ · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Your rough estimate of South in morning to West is pretty spot on. North facing walls will get the least amount of sun all year. If you are ever lost in the woods, looking for the mossy side of a tree trunk will let you know where North is. 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

South facing should be sunny. Lost Horse Wall, East Face of Old Woman, Lenticular Dome come to mind for all day sun.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The sun lies more southerly in the winter, so south-facing is good.  Astronomy lesson is over!

jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 185

Just put on a jacket and climb in the shade when it turns arctic. No more waiting for climbs!

To add one little useful suggestion....Atlantis Wall is so nice and warm in the early morning. And do be sure to arrive early, to beat the toproping hordes on that wall.

drjman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,494
plantmandan wrote: Just go there and climb a fun looking route in the sun. There are many hundreds to choose from.

You misspelled thousands!

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 151
jt newgard wrote: Just put on a jacket and climb in the shade when it turns arctic. No more waiting for climbs!

Best advice on this thread

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
jt newgard wrote: Just put on a jacket and climb in the shade when it turns arctic. No more waiting for climbs!

To add one little useful suggestion....Atlantis Wall is so nice and warm in the early morning. And do be sure to arrive early, to beat the toproping hordes on that wall.

I was at Atlantis Wall 8:30am two weeks ago and it was shady and freezing. I was wearing a few layers, but hands and fingers were so cold they hurt. It was a particularly cold day.

jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 185

Hmm interesting, thanks for data point Sam.

Maybe you need to get there even earlier? It slowly goes into shade as the day progresses.

Or maybe we just need a licensed astronomer to chime in. HA!

PS. Yeah Master Gumby, with the right partner you can get A LOT ton by climbing in the shade on cold days. Gives Josh that true ALPINE character.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 151
jt newgard wrote: 
PS. Yeah Master Gumby, with the right partner you can get A LOT ton by climbing in the shade on cold days. Gives Josh that true ALPINE character.

Poor mans patagonia.... bi polar weather etc...

Idyllwild > Josh anytime of year tho. Josh is too much of a shit show and the 100 routes worth doing are too spread out
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311

I think it’s more a combination of Sun Angle, Wind and the surrounding formations.

This climb is completely in the sun, sphincter quits.... a fine thin crack. In the morning about this time of year.

What’s the MP sun shade deal show??

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 275

You are in LA.  Just go outside your house and look at where the sun is shining during different times of the day and it will be the same as JT.

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 302

Newer guidebooks have this info for many routes also. Don't hesitate to support the guidebook authors despite MP.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,436
Matt N wrote: despite MP.

How about "in addition to"?  I love guidebooks and still buy them for new areas I visit.  Just be sure to slap an MP sticker on them :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Sun in Joshua Tree in January"