Mountain Project Logo

Best article about the Joshua Tree National Park chaos


Original Post
Joe De Luca · · yucca valley · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 127

Amid closure at Joshua Tree National Park, volunteers struggle to clean up after unruly visitors
https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-joshua-tree-cleanup-20190109-story.html

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,631

Makes me sad

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 12,273
Bill Lawry wrote: Makes me sad

Makes me sad and angry at humanity. 

Clickable URL for reference: https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-joshua-tree-cleanup-20190109-story.html
Ross Goldberg · · San Luis Obispo · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 26

They should shut down the park in full. All of this is indicative of desert trash coming in from the county for the "free camping".

Shut down the park, save the park. There are other places we can go climb in the winter if it means saving Joshua Tree

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

so much winning

Bill Lawry · · New Mexico · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,631
Ross Goldberg wrote:Shut down the park, save the park. There are other places we can go climb in the winter if it means saving Joshua Tree

I agree - wait this out.

I know at least one of our senators is working to help shield federal employees from home foreclosures and the like.

JSH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 1,028
Jason Halladay wrote:

Makes me sad and angry at humanity. 

Ditto. That pic of a broken Joshua tree broke my heart.

Guy H. · · Fort Collins CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 7,792

Everyone should have to see that picture.  From the article:

Adrienne DiRosario · · Troy, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

This is why we can’t have nice things. 

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 130
Guy H. wrote: Everyone should have to see that picture.  From the article:

That’s not cut, looks broken. Regardless, there are many many many things happening in the world right now that would break my heart, broken tree ain’t one of them. Seriously people, what did you expect to happen without law enforcement in our parks? That we’d all hold hands, sing Kumbaya and rainbows would shoot out of our asses? Apparently you don’t know human nature. Also, since when did taking a shit in the woods turn out to be defecating in the wild? 

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,345
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

That’s not cut, looks broken. Regardless, there are many many many things happening in the world right now that would break my heart, broken tree ain’t one of them. Seriously people, what did you expect to happen without law enforcement in our parks? That we’d all hold hands, sing Kumbaya and rainbows would shoot out of our asses? Apparently you don’t know human nature. Also, since when did taking a shit in the woods turn out to be defecating in the wild? 

Props for cramming almost as many logical fallacies as there are sentences.

Let’s address the first.
Problem A exists, but problem B , existing elsewhere, is greater. Therefore, problem A doesn’t matter. 

Can you see why this is illogical?
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,460
Guy H. wrote: Everyone should have to see that picture.  From the article:

Im pretty sure that tree has been broken for awhile, it's a stock image.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 50

This is terrible. Any vandalism in the park is bad, regardless of the photo being real or not. 

Another disturbing development here is the use of entry fee money for park staff payroll. Without getting too technical, this appears to violate appropriations law. The 1996 Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act  states that user fees are to be used for maintaining the park, not to pay for park operations. This may set a bad precedent if it goes unchallenged.

JSH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 1,028

The photo credit is "Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times".  

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,460
JSH wrote: The photo credit is "Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times".  

It's an image the liberal media has used to stoke your outrage. The tree has been broken for sometime, and was not broken by users.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 130
Jaren Watson wrote:

Props for cramming almost as many logical fallacies as there are sentences.

Let’s address the first.
Problem A exists, but problem B , existing elsewhere, is greater. Therefore, problem A doesn’t matter. 

Can you see why this is illogical?

A down tree, albeit bad, it won’t tip the scales of my heart. Nothing illogical about that. 

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

A down tree, albeit bad, it won’t tip the scales of my heart. Nothing illogical about that. 

Joe Kinder?! is that u???

germsauce Epstein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 55

Is anyone doing a kickstarter or similar to support good people like Mr. Abbott doing upkeep at our Nat. Parks during the shutdown?   

JSH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 1,028
Greg Opland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 187
germsauce Epstein wrote: Is anyone doing a kickstarter or similar to support good people like Mr. Abbott doing upkeep at our Nat. Parks during the shutdown?   

Friends of Joshua Tree are taking donations to help with the cleanup and restocking of bathrooms and the like.

You can even donate via PayPal.

https://www.friendsofjosh.org​​​
chrispatrick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Well said guy h...well said

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Best article about the Joshua Tree National Par…"

Log In to Reply