Mountain Project Logo

Best Pack for Carting My Crap Around

Brannen Delker · · Birmingham, AL · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

For reference... without having to play a fucked up game of packing Tetris I can usually dump a small tarp, 70m, double rack to #3, draws, helmet, lunch, 2l water, harness, helmet, shoes, guidebook in the  creek 50. With the cragsmith, some of that gear has to ride on the outside. 

Thomas Worsham · · Loveland, OH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Roy Suggett wrote: This works well:

Can I get that on Backcountry?

Thomas Worsham · · Loveland, OH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Brannen Delker wrote: For reference... without having to play a fucked up game of packing Tetris I can usually dump a small tarp, 70m, double rack to #3, draws, helmet, lunch, 2l water, harness, helmet, shoes, guidebook in the  creek 50. With the cragsmith, some of that gear has to ride on the outside. 

I only have a single rack right now, so maybe I will have better luck making sure everything is inside the pack.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Outside does have the disadvantage of snagging during a bushwhack I suppose, but tucking the rope into the compression straps helps. I guess to me the specific advantages of a smaller pack and rope on top normally outweigh the snag factor, I’m sure some day I’ll have a heinous bushwhack where I will wish I had stuffed it.

Brannen Delker · · Birmingham, AL · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0
Thomas Worsham wrote:

I only have a single rack right now, so maybe I will have better luck making sure everything is inside the pack.

Yeah you’re probably fine with the cragsmith or any of the other mentioned 35-45 liter packs. You’re definitely ok to fit everything in a creek 50, probably a creek 35 if you don’t have ton of extra stuff (clothes, food, etc). One thing that for sure helped me was what you mentioned before about ditching the rope bag. For some stupid reason I initially kept the rope in the rope bag, then tossed it in the pack... which creates a giant brick you have to pack around. A small folded tarp (cut from a retired rope bag or purchased from Walmart) has worked better for me. Carrying gear on the outside of the pack hasn’t been major problem though, unless it’s swinging around like I just left some gypsy camp. 

Russ Walling · · Overlord @ FishProducts · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,407

Probably something like one of these....

#GarbleBase approved
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 1,719

Something like that up there,

Well, that's a  fancy topped tote (in your choice of color, very nice!)
but, if you check

Aaron Nash wrote:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Fish DELUX atom smasher. Best crag bag
The 5th post on the 1st page had it covered, All the others, (the BD Creek)  are rip-offs of The Original.  
The "Deluxe" has an extendable collar; a  sleeve with a drawcord to "close" it.  A nice touch to have but not a must.
Atom Smasher Deluxe
Atom Smasher Deluxe
not the best picture, I can't find my picture of the special Green One; which is ok 'cause it only comes in camel or offwhite anyway.
It is a small haul bag, everything fits inside It & if all you do is crag crawl, an A-Smasher will probably outlive your climbing career. If you learn all the tricks; how to pack it,
 using an Ensolite type foam pad around the inside & a disk of foam on the bottom,(To Sit on, instead of the pack) your authentic Fish Atom Smasher will be the last pack you'll ever need to buy.  something Like only  $125.00 shipped, its the best crag pack & a good deal

tyllbl
Adam Block · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 546
Dallin Carey wrote: Once again, the Archwood Flextrek 37,000,000,000,000 (Whipsnake and Augmenteon models) will serve you well.

+1 for Archwood's design. I've put in over a hundred miles on my Whipsnake. From Rifle to the Winds and airlines never have Issues when going to EPC. Solid construction to handle the harshest of environments.

Morgan Patterson · · CT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,764

I agree with others about rope on outside sux because of snags, I like to stack the rope into my bag so it fits best and is ready to go at the crag.

Ven Popov · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 42

I recently got the Osprey Mutant 38 that outdoorgearlab is raving about and I'm very happy with it, and so are 3 of my friends who also got it (but the 52L version). The 38 fits a ridicoulous amount of stuff 

Parker H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

I prefer my Yeti soft cooler.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best Pack for Carting My Crap Around"