Mountain Project Logo

Best Pack for Carting My Crap Around

Thomas Worsham · · Loveland, OH · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Dallin Carey wrote: Once again, the Archwood Flextrek 37,000,000,000,000 (Whipsnake and Augmenteon models) will serve you well.

Only if it's on sale with the complimentary Frech Wedge. 

Buddin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5
Thomas Worsham wrote:

Doe sit have space to carry a rope inside of it? I'm tired of my rope bag on long approaches.

I can fit a double rack, harness, shoes and a 70m rope in it. Snack pocket on the side. Even has a strap on top to hold your rope if you have more gear inside. 

Nick Haha · · Baltimore, md · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 135

Black Diamond Stone 45l

David Dentry · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 31

I treated myself to a Patagonia Cragsmith 45L for Christmas and love it. It replaces a generic 40L backpacking/daypack I was using.

It swallows gear (60m rope, 3 harnesses, 3 pair of shoes, cord, anchor building stuff, 12 quickdraws, and lunch - kids carry the helmets), the entire back zips open so you never have to dig around from the top (but you can if you want) and doesn't have too many straps and buckles and adjustments on the outside to snag on stuff and get in the way on the approach.

It's padded all around which is kind of odd, but helps it keep its shape and makes it easy to pack and carry.

I like the side pockets for easy access to a water bottle and guidebook or map. Nice top compartment for lunch. I kind of wish it had a row of daisy chain down the middle (I may sew one one) for a helmet or shoes when moving from location to location.

Tapawingo Markey wrote:

Would you rather be like Conrad Anker or Chris Sharma?

Could I be their love child? Or both of them combined?

Peter Underwood · · Tucson · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 30

I just got an osprey kestrel 38 from REI on sale for $80 (free shipping).  I see someone has one on the sale board for $60 (it doesnt look like exactly same version, i dont know & you would want to make sure size is right).  I am kinda loving the pack, but 38 is a tight fit.  I fit my 70 meter tope, my helmet, shoes, bag of quickdraws/slings. Then i carry my harness strapped outside. I carry 2 big bottles of water/tea in side pockets & i have sundries in cover pocket & 10 essentials-ish under top cover in pocket there. I carry shell jacket & maybe guidebook in stretchy compartment on the back of pack. ( I make my wife carry the rack). I still have a little room in top compartment (cap).  There are a couple small compartments on waistbelt i havent used yet.  My clipstick is strapped to the side.
I almost aways climb with my wife so she usually carries her gear & lunch & the rack.  If i go with other partner they usually carry rack, quickdraw etc bag, & i get my own lunch stuff.  
I have my big 50+ backpacking backpack (60?) But i love this new pack as being easier to scramble & bushwack with.

Stu L · · Washington, DC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

+1 for the Patagonia cragsmith. Makes the perfect crag bag and I’ve enjoyed using it for travel as well. Not sure it can really be improved. 

Señor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Wag bags are the best for crap, IMO.

Señor Arroz wrote: Wag bags are the best for crap, IMO.

(☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

Carl Martin · · San Francisco · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

Get an alpaca to carry your gear and a
Keg of beer. You’ll be the king of the crag.

Gavin W · · Langley, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

MEC Cragalot gets my vote.

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Can anyone explain the aversion to carrying a rope on the outside of the pack? There have been a couple posts about looking for a bag that can carry a rope inside and I’ve never found a reason for that to be better than strapped on top.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,345
Ryan M Moore wrote: Can anyone explain the aversion to carrying a rope on the outside of the pack? There have been a couple posts about looking for a bag that can carry a rope inside and I’ve never found a reason for that to be better than strapped on top.

I prefer it strapped outside. I don’t want a pack big enough to fit the rope inside because if I’m climbing with it, it sucks balls to have a giant pack.

Brannen Delker · · Birmingham, AL · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

My girlfriend found a cragsmith 45 for cheap and gifted it to me when i was in search of a 30-35 liter pack. This was shortly after I’d bought a creek 50. So now i have both. I planned to sell one of the two but both have grown on me. Creek 50 definitely seems to have way more space than 5 extra liters over the cragsmith. Feels like 10-15. However, the cragsmith has a slimmer profile, hydration sleeve, and is more comfortable (unless half your shit is hanging outside the pack). No major complaints for either though. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Ryan M Moore wrote: Can anyone explain the aversion to carrying a rope on the outside of the pack? There have been a couple posts about looking for a bag that can carry a rope inside and I’ve never found a reason for that to be better than strapped on top.

Because ropes can snag on bushes. I prefer everything to be in the pack, not attached to it (such as chalk bag, shoes, etc.).

Edit: It's really just personal preference and neither way is "wrong."
Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Jaren Watson wrote:

I prefer it strapped outside. I don’t want a pack big enough to fit the rope inside because if I’m climbing with it, it sucks balls to have a giant pack.

Yeah. The Osprey rope carry systems are killer, I can't imagine why anyone wants to cram a rope in their pack instead.

Señor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Depends a lot on the terrain where you are hiking. If you ever walk through chaparral  or dense forest with a rope hanging out you'll understand the urge to put it inside. 

Shay Subramanian · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I like my Osprey mutant. Fits more than you'd think, great rope carrying system, and the best part - if you take the brain off, transforms into a backpack half its size.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 7,604

This works well:

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,345
Roy Suggett wrote: This works well:

Not fair! I’v never been able to convince Tradiban to carry anything for me.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best Pack for Carting My Crap Around"