Mountain Project Logo

Climbers struck by lightning

Original Post
Ula Chrobak · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Hi, I'm a journalist looking to talk to climbers who have been struck by lightning for a magazine story. If you have a story you would be willing to share, please email me at ulachrobak at gmail dot com. Thank you.

Danny Parker · · Teasdale, UT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 120

You may want to track down Brad Jackson, I believe he lives in Fort Collins still. He got struck by lightning a while back, and it's a crazy story.

Alex Styp · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 75

Make contact with Phil Broscovak, wild story of being struck by lightning in the Voo. I believe Outside magazine already did a podcast with him about it.

Scott M. McNamara · · Presidio San Augustine Del… · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 55

I cannot recall, is it the little museum near the trail for The Diamond that has the Gortex jacket of the climber struck by lightening?

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,153
Alex Styp wrote: Make contact with phil broscovak, wild story of being struck by lightning in the Voo. I believe Outside magazine already did a podcast with him about it.

That's the first one that came to my mind. Very engaging story. 

Drew L · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0
Choss Connoisseur · · SLC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 15
Alex Styp wrote: Make contact with Phil Broscovak, wild story of being struck by lightning in the Voo. I believe Outside magazine already did a podcast with him about it.

Such a good podcast

fvclimb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 85

Im an ex fire lookout and a climber who got struck by lightning.   Wasnt a direct hit though hit a tree ten feet away and threw me into the air.  My heart felt weird for about an hour but otherwise im fine.  Been in fire lookouts that have been struck many times as well. 

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Yes, Phil..

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10
Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10
t.farrell wrote:
http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/13201110700/print

The alpine club’s report is pretty dry for this one. There are much better articles but there are certain people in this incident whom I regard as truly incredible. 

Indeed. I hadn’t read it before, but fuck me, several, if not all, of those folks involved in the rescues deserve medals.

nickmarcucci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 51

They did receive medals. Both rangers and guides. 

https://www.localnews8.com/news/grand-teton-park-rangers-honored-for-heroism/56918771

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Climbers struck by lightning"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started