Big Bro 5 is back!

Original Post
Zach Ciaglia · · Chicago, Il · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 147
Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Only making 100 units at 300$ a pop. Ill skip OW for now

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 840

The same color as abelly full of PBR, full-body-thrutching induced vomit

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Stiles wrote: The same color as abelly full of PBR, full-body-thrutching induced vomit

I pity the poor soul who would ever do such a thing to themselves.. Quality beer= quality life

Nathan Sullivan · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

That's a fancy crack pipe.  I wonder how many routes/climbers need something that wide?

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 72
i'll sell mine for 200!
Stein Pull · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Briggs Lazalde wrote: Only making 100 units at 300$ a pop. Ill skip OW for now

I was stoked to see that Trango is catering to a fairly small segment of the public and bringing the #5 back in a small-production batch. However, the price seems outrageous. It seems like they must have all the necessary tools and schematics to make the run, since they already made them in the past. For $300, a VG #12 is vastly superior for OW climbing. Additionally, since they are not going to be sold through dealers Trango will see the full $300, rather than only 30% or so if they were shipping them to dealers.

Nice move Trango, but the price is ridiculous.
Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 351

Wow that's a big piece of pro.
Brassmonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 115

So its basically a (way overpriced) kickstarter?  Isn't this supposed to be a legitimate company that has the money and resources to not have to offer a product in this way at this price?  Seems like another odd decision from a company that continues to make questionable choices. I'll take my money elsewhere. 

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,734

That's twice the price of the next size down.  No thanks.  That would be kind of the same as paying $230.00 for a BD #6 because the price for the 5 is $115.00.  For now, I'll just wear an extra layer or two and inhale.  That should be enough to stick in a chimney.

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50

price is similar to merlin #10, VG 12.
All price squaking seems misguided now?

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,734
rafael wrote: price is similar to merlin #10, VG 12.
All price squaking seems misguided now?

Not really.  You can’t bump a Big Bro.  VG for that reason alone is more valuable IMO.  YMMV.

Carolina · · Rural NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 75

Trango gear is trash 

Alex Zucca · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 280

100 units at $300 each is $30K total. That is minuscule in terms of sales for a company. They are just doing this more for the benefit of the climbing community to have the gear, and need to charge a high price to justify the engineering work that goes into re-producing a product.

Similar example- I think BD only sells 100 portaledges a year at $700 each. $70K a year in revenue is not a huge money maker, but they continue to sell them for the community. That's also why they haven't made any changes in a long time, and you see smaller companies like Runout Customs and Big Wall Gear driving the innovation for ledges (just like the small companies that make Merlin and VG are innovating niche wide gear).

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 50
Jake Jones wrote:

Not really.  You can’t bump a Big Bro.  VG for that reason alone is more valuable IMO.  YMMV.

Yes, but the gold big bro has 6 extra inches of wideness

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,395
Carolina wrote: Trango gear is trash 

The only Trango gear I’ve found to be “trash” is their largest cams.

Their stoppers are so close to BD’s it’s surprising one company hasn’t sued the other. 

Their small and medium cams are not quite as good as others but they’re certainly not bad, in my opinion. 

Their slings are the same as any others. 
Their phase carabiners are very nice.
Is Tenaya a subsidiary?—I only know that the shoes are sold on Trango’s website. Their shoes are amazing.
Ted.kemble · · tower city PA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

lead time 4-6 months

Brassmonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 115
Alex Zucca wrote: 100 units at $300 each is $30K total. That is minuscule in terms of sales for a company. They are just doing this more for the benefit of the climbing community to have the gear, and need to charge a high price to justify the engineering work that goes into re-producing a product.

Similar example- I think BD only sells 100 portaledges a year at $700 each. $70K a year in revenue is not a huge money maker, but they continue to sell them for the community. That's also why they haven't made any changes in a long time, and you see smaller companies like Runout Customs and Big Wall Gear driving the innovation for ledges (just like the small companies that make Merlin and VG are innovating niche wide gear).

It is minuscule, which makes it even more pathetic that they need to take 100 orders before they start production, with a lead time of 4-6 months.  And you know how long the Vergo took, so I would expect 9-12 months easy. 

If I want a BD ledge I just buy one, period. And then I throw it in the trash and buy a real ledge from a better company. 
Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Ted.kemble wrote: lead time 4-6 months

The average for the VGs seems to be more than that.  The guy doing Merlins might be there too, he was at 3-4 when I got my Merlin #8.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 138

I don't have $300 to throw at this but (assuming at least 1 batch gets made) I look forward to seeing used ones pop up online.

I've seen a few used ones go for $120 but I've always missed the sales. If you've got one you don't want I got $120 with your name on it ;)

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 833

$299? Same as a Valley Giant #12. I never thought I'd see a Silent Partner go for $500 either but it's all about scarcity. The Merlin and Valley Giant cams work better. This is especially true on non-straight sided Indian Creek types of off width/Squeeze chimneys (easier to place, much easier to move). However, both the Big Bro number 4 and the #5 are a shit ton lighter than a Valley Giant. Range is bigger and strength is better.  If you want to leave a few behind for pro and walk a giant up, it's nicer to have light pieces on you. 4 of the VG resemble a boat anchor in weight at just under 9 lbs, 4 #4 BBros are 3.23lbs. Huge difference.

Note that a #4 Big Bro is the comp for a #12 Valley Giant. The #5 BB is the next size up, so what is that, the #16 Valley Giant?

Valley Giant -  RANGE: 7.40 in - 12.00 in (188mm - 305mm)   STRENGTH: 2000 lbf (9 kN)    WEIGHT: 35.00 oz. (990 grams)
#4 Big Bro  -   RANGE: 7.50 in - 12.00 in (191mm - 305mm)   STRENGTH:               (12 KN)  WEIGHT: 11.92 oz  (338 grams)

#5 Big Bro - RANGE 11.3 x 18.4 inch (287 to 467 mm) STRENGTH: 15 kN WEIGHT:  20.4 oz  (578.3 grams)

Reference links: http://www.valleygiant.com/no12cam.html and https://www.moosejaw.com/product/trango-big-bros_10019391 

Buy early, buy often.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Big Bro 5 is back!"