Mountain Project Logo

New Grivel Cascade Plus Picks?

Original Post
MyFeetHurt · · Glenwood, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 25

Curious if anyone has tried these with the new cascade picks? Do they clean easier?

https://www.backcountrygear.com/cascade-plus-pick.html

Nolan Huther · · Potsdam, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 505

Bump. I'm also curious

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

Hmm... simply laser or waterjet cut, not forged. I'm surprised they can't offer it for something more competitive than $60 a pop.

Happy with my Raptors and their $37 picks. Tough suckers too.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175

They were talked about that outdoor retailer show. I have a crush on their forged products but I'd like to try them.  

https://blog.weighmyrack.com/new-2018-winter-gear-ice-edition-outdoor-retailer-winter-show/

Edit: Weren't the Reparto picks laser cut also? 

Gunkiemike wrote: Hmm... simply laser or waterjet cut, not forged.
How might performance be affecting when a pick is cut instead of forged? My metallurgy knowledge is pretty thin but anecdotally the Ice pick on my Tech Machines seems far burlier than the Pur'Ice picks on the Nomics I used to use, though I think that's a chromolly/stainless thing?
Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Looks like every company’s realizes a thinner pick is more better nowadays.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

they are all playing  catch up to cassin. 

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 160
Nick Goldsmith wrote: they are all playing  catch up to cassin.

Pipe down with your cassin shite 

apross · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 2,721

In my opinion, all forged Grivel picks need to be sharpened along the (top) leading edge, all the way to the hilt; de-tune the (bottom) pick's last two/three barbs, too--that'll make 'em easier to clean in soft, plastic conditions.  As they're levered upward, the sharpened leading edge will allow you to cut the tool out of the placement.  The de-tuned barbs should release the pick, rather than lock it in place.  200 years!

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Pipe down with your cassin shite 

Damn.. Cassin still be making mofos butt hurt. Reminds me of when Nick hate on me :)

Nice to see the Pur’ice picks on the market. No more wasting an hour with “ice” picks and a file. Wonder where Petzl could’ve got the idea?
 I would like to see the XDreams design strengths combined with Trango’s pick durability. 
Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 160
Bill Kirby wrote:

Damn.. Cassin still be making mofos butt hurt. Reminds me of when Nick hate on me :)

Nice to see the Pur’ice picks on the market. No more wasting an hour with “ice” picks and a file. Wonder where Petzl could’ve got the idea?
 I would like to see the XDreams design strengths combined with Trango’s pick durability. 

I'll be less ass hurt when cassin fires whoever keeps accidentally making the picks out of butter 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "New Grivel Cascade Plus Picks?"