Mountain Project Logo

Can't take part in my own thread

Original Post
Lee C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

Hi,

This morning I started this thread, looking for advice after experiencing some problems with the anchor on a climb: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116233451/scary-anchors-and-how-to-avoid-them

Since starting the thread, I've been able to post just one reply in response to questions and comments, and haven't even had the ability to ask for clarification on responders' advice, or correct people's misunderstandings.

Limiting me to one response a day inside my own thread isn't protecting the site against spam, as the blocker banner keeps telling me. It's limiting engagement and education in this case. Wouldn't throttling the post limits of abusers be better??

I had to open a new account, with a new email just to finally post a reply in the above thread. And I couldn't even post in this new thread with my previous account! What's the protocol for being allowed to post more than once a day?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,441

The limits automatically go up as time goes by, as you have no flags/complaints, and as you contribute to the site in various ways.  Very low limits for users that signed up within a few days is very helpful in reducing the spam we have to deal with.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote: The limits automatically go up as time goes by, as you have no flags/complaints, and as you contribute to the site in various ways.  Very low limits for users that signed up within a few days is very helpful in reducing the spam we have to deal with.

Yeah but 1 response a day? 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,441
mediocre wrote:

Yeah but 1 response a day? 

For the first two days of a user's existence, they can post twice per day.  After that it goes up based on various factors.  

This allows us to stop spammers before causing us (and all of you reading the forum) too much of a mess to clean up.  We manually have to delete spammers every single day, even after other automated systems block an average of 375 new fake accounts every day.  It continues to get worse and harder to maintain, and the robots and cheap spam labor get more persistent all the time.

Bruno: we have no ads, nor any revenue, nor much attention from any bean counters.  Reddit is the THIRD largest website in the world.  MP is... lower than that, and we have just a few less resources.
Duncan Domingue · · Scott, LA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I had that issue in a big "for sale" post recently. The best I could do was edit my original post letting people know the situation. It especially sucked when I hit the private message limit and needed to let people know how to pay!

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Nick Wilder wrote:

For the first two days of a user's existence, they can post twice per day.  After that it goes up based on various factors.  

This allows us to stop spammers before causing us (and all of you reading the forum) too much of a mess to clean up.  We manually have to delete spammers every single day, even after other automated systems block an average of 375 new fake accounts every day.  It continues to get worse and harder to maintain, and the robots and cheap spam labor get more persistent all the time.

Bruno: we have no ads, nor any revenue, nor much attention from any bean counters.  Reddit is the THIRD largest website in the world.  MP is... lower than that, and we have just a few less resources.

Fair enough. 

375 fake new accounts everyday? How many are Russian trying to influence my belay device.?

I wish I had the energy to to be such an asshole everyday. I strive to keep up with my own life goals let alone influencing other people to come along with me. 
F loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 361
mediocre wrote:

Fair enough. 

375 fake new accounts everyday? How many are Russian trying to influence my belay device.?

I wish I had the energy to to be such an asshole everyday. I strive to keep up with my own life goals let alone influencing other people to come along with me. 

You would be surprised at how many fake accounts exist on any site. If you ever worked for the government, chances are you have been friend requested or followed by an account with your name and pictures reused... It usually isn't even as scandalous as influencing elections. Many are just used to influence your purchases by appearing legitimate. 

Brother Numsie · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Nick Wilder wrote: have no flags/complaints,

How does one go about checking if they've been flagged?

Asking for a friend
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Can't take part in my own thread"