Mountain Project Logo

Top Down Bolting Gear

Darren Mabe · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,885

Also, yes on the belay seat! I have Petzl Podium and love it

Darren Mabe · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,885

I "Fifi holster" my drill. 

frog pirate · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

If I ever take up alpine climbing, I want you with me to carry the gear.

James Maltman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Seems like you're missing the portable saw, 2 or 3 wire brushes, pry bar, crow bar, scraper, axe, home made crack scraper, blower, and mattock.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
James Maltman wrote: Seems like you're missing the portable saw, 2 or 3 wire brushes, pry bar, crow bar, scraper, axe, home made crack scraper, blower, and mattock.

Well yeah, sometimes the cleaning gear can get a bit out of hand. We borrowed one of these once (and ten kilo´s of blasting powder).

Brandon Fields · · Boulder · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 385

I forgot to add: this is a great post and very well done by Mak! I wish i had such a comprehensive list to refer to when i started out!

Mak Ely · · Orange County · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 872

Ha! Thanks for the notes, laughs, and encouragement on this post and to get my weight down. Some great and simple insights. I'll be removing some items and will be looking forward to a lighter pack.
I'll post an updated weight in due time.
Cheers. 

Jon Lane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 11

Mak there is no shame carrying all that gear. I have been up on the rope plenty of times wishing I had something that I did not bring. That seat rules and that is the next item on my list! Only thing I would add is a Hurley or similar tool, vise grips and a spinner tool (for folks replacing bolts) 

Mak Ely · · Orange County · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 872

Update:
The weight of my bolting gear/pack was 64lbs / 30kg... and now it's down to 49lbs / 22kg!
I'm unsure if anything else can be deducted; I forfeited some of the extra crabs, cords, hardware, and cleaners; changed out static line with webbing; using a shorter length main rope with a light weight pull cord to replace larger rope.
And yes I still have the Bosun's chair:D

Cheers!

Hayden robinson · · Curry village, Yose · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 125

One thing I think should be said, hooks and cam hooks on a daisy should be used to position yourself while rap bolting, drillling on a hook is not a lead specific thing  

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 116

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned cams. I have to have a single rack from near micro-C4 #3, specifically, C3 #1 and 2, black to red totems, C4 equivalent Dragons #2 and 3.
The amount of effort without a rack would be horrific. Maybe once I'm better I won't need them, but my process still involves rope soloing the route first to be sure about bolt placements, and runners make that possible. I couldn't imagine an overhanging route without cams though. The totems are amazing for everything, but especially developing. They stick in everywhere! Between those, a good hook, and a few Mammut contact slings for slinging features, I can usually find a way.

Also, the Milwaukee m12 SDS Plus drill is absolutely amazing! There's no way anyone could believe a 12v could kick ass until they've tried it. I always bring two batteries, but have never needed the second. A typical day (easy vert route) is 1 1/2 routes, so maybe 15 to 20 bolts (1/2" x 4" holes). I'm curious if it would stand up to granite. If it does, that would be major weight savings. I think it's around 3 pounds with the battery.

thomas ellis · · abq · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 1,690
Normal day out
Usually 50-60lbs plus water and snacks for dogs
Kelley Gilleran · · Sacramento, Ca · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,800

Harness
70m Rope (sometimes two)
Gri
1 Ascender
Drill and bit
24 bolts and hangers
Bbq brush
Blow tube
Wrench
Hammer
12 draws
2 slings
4 lockers
2 sets of chains and links
Helmet
Hat
Sunglasses
Flip flops
Partner optional but preferred to carry the drill and the hardware (you know cause I have the rope)
Beer optional

For two routes

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Top Down Bolting Gear"