Mountain Project Logo

Can I bring my ATC on the plane?

Original Post
jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 195

Just wondering if TSA will confiscate my belay device. Prefer to avoid checking bags, hence the question.

All I want for Christmas is to climb with my bro back home!!!!!

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

I’d like to think you’d be good, cams look way more...weird
Lets climb again Jeff!

Thanks Jeff. Hopefully you're right, explaining cams/trad to the TSA sounds like an uphill battle...

I'm in San Diego now. Hit me up if you want to climb Woodson (or Josh too for that matter, been gettin out there lately) !!

Ira O · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 71

I've been told you can bring your entire rack onto the plane,  except not your nut tool. 

Interesting, maybe I should have brought some cams as an experiment. The ATC went through no problem. I took it out of my pack and put it on a tray. In my experience TSA is happier when you're upfront about odd stuff. Not that I'm flying with suspicious materials all the time......lol

Beau Griffith · · Fresno, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 20

I've only flown once with gear, but I stuffed all of my gear* into a duffel bag and carried it on. No hassle whatsoever. YMMV.

*Trad rack, harnesses, shoes...the works. I actually may have checked my nut tool based on advice from this site but can't remember.

Travis Bianucci · · Logan · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

gone through from reno to slc on southwest airlines with my whole rack. cams, hexs, nut tool, shoes, and rope. i did get stopped, but they were used to seeing climbing gear go though there so they weren't too concerned and let me on my way

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

Have flown a lot with a double rack and never had issues. Even with a nut tool.

Steven Roberts · · San Jose, CA · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

I was allowed on a plane with an ice screw.  I forgot to take it off my harness and check it when flying to Canada.  I had my harness in my carry on to save weight in my duffel, and when flying out of SF they checked my carry on for free.  When I got to Vancouver to continue on to Whitehorse, I had my luggage as carry on and it was obviously flagged.  Dude got his supervisor, who got his supervisor, who allowed it.  I thought for sure they'd confiscate it.  I can't imagine an ATC would be remotely close to an issue.  

Thanks all for responses. Seems the TSA is very climber friendly!!

Matthew Campisi · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 46
Ira O wrote: I've been told you can bring your entire rack onto the plane,  except not your nut tool. 

This has been true for me. I hadn't even thought of the fact that the nut tool is sharp! I've traveled with my whole trad rack in my carry-on many times, including the nut tool. On occasion, the agents want to look in the bag, but I've never had any real trouble once I tell them it's all rock climbing gear.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

Flown many times with ALL my climbing gear.  You’re fine with an ATC.  Now the chalk bag in the other hand usually requires a cavity search

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Can I bring my ATC on the plane?"