Mountain Project Logo

Am I being scammed?

Original Post
Ryan T. · · Anaheim, CA · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

I just joined MP and bought something from a user on the site, but now he's saying he only takes Zelle.  I looked up Zelle and there's no fraud protection, so I feel weird sending money to him with no way to protect myself if he dosn't deliver.  Is this the way things are normally done on here?

anyone?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

IME Paypal is most common, followed by Venmo. The check/money order.  Also know that you being a brand new user will tend to make sellers cautious.

SinRopa · · parts unknown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 30

When you say you “bought something from a user on the site,” I assume you’re talking about calling dibs on the new Downmat I was giving away on the free stuff forum.

Also, when you wrote that “now he’s saying he only takes Zelle,” you meant that’s what I wrote in the original post, right?

To answer your question though, no, giving away a lot of free stuff to lure you into a false sense of security in order to make off with your $18 isn’t my plan. 

TL;DR: Zelle me $18 and give me your shipping address, or I’m sending my free stuff to someone else.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Why do you use Zelle SunRopa?

Not saying you’re trying to scam anyone, genuinely curious about your payment app choice. 

Brace yourself, this is a long one.  Short story: I used to do PP, then got seriously hosed by someone, probably from MP.  

A while ago I was selling a tent on here and a bunch of people emailed me about it with questions, wanting pics, etc.  Then I got an email from someone who said their buddy forwarded him my email address and the pics, and he wanted to buy it.  In hindsight it was probably one of the MPers using a different name.  He PPed me the money, I sent the tent, done deal.

Then I got an email from him saying that he’d gotten a notice that the package wasn’t deliverable, and that USPS was sending it back to me.  He said he was leaving the country on a trip and wouldn’t be around long enough for me to resend it, and he requested that I refund the $ he’d PP’ed me, but asked that I sent it to a different email address, since that was linked to a different account that he could access overseas.

I was a little skeptical, but the tracking info showed the package at a post office enroute back to me, so I figured it was legit, so I PPed the money back to him.

However....the address he’d used was a post office in Vegas.  When the post office received the package, he and I had gotten the same automated note USPS sends when you sign up for tracking # texts.  They’d automatically flagged it as undeliverable, and the location showed it at a post office being rerouted back to me.  But, as soon as I PP’ed the money back, he strolled in there and claimed the package.

Then, because he had the non-delivery text, he filed a dispute with PP saying he’d never received it, and wanted his money back.  PP asked for my side of the story, but he denied being associated with the other email account, or picking up the package.  Even though I had the USPS evidence that he’d picked it up, the refund trail, emails, etc, PP still sided with him and took another $350 from my PP account, giving him a second refund.  So I was out the cash and the tent.  

I’m still fighting with PP over the whole thing.  I was living out west at the time, so I filed a police report in Vegas while on a trip to Red Rocks, and the dude was a known dirtbag (not the good kind) out there, having pulled the same scam on about a dozen folks before he flew home to Germany, beyond the reach of the local PD.

With Zelle, once you send that cash it’s gone forever.  The receiver gets in almost immediately.  Much less buyer protection, but hey, I’m not worried about me scamming someone else, I’m worried about me getting scammed.  And, I figure that I’ve given enough stuff away for free on here that a quick search of my prior posts would alleviate the concerns of anyone worried about getting scammed.

Sorry to her that you where scammed.

While I don’t agree with the OP’s wording of his post - it’s dishonest, nearly lying. I’m surprised that you’re so quick to shame someone who is worried bout being scammed themselves however. 

If he’s that worried about getting scammed by someone who only takes Zelle, don’t call dibs on items on the free forum posted by people who clearly state upfront that they only take Zelle to cover shipping costs.

I’m not shaming him, I’m just clarifying his complete misrepresentation of the situation.  

Also, I sent him the tracking info hours ago...so an update to his original post would have been nice.

Yes I have the mail tracking number but I haven't actually gotten the mat yet.  I know sometimes people give numbers and the packages are delivered somewhere else and a phony tracking number allows scammers to deny there doing anything wrong.

Laramide Erogenous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 235

OP didn’t “buy” anything. OP paid for shipping on a free item that he is now flipping, before he even has possession of the item.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,395

SinRopa, your actions in the community speak for themselves. You’re a class act, and we’re all grateful for your awesome generosity.

Ryan T., you have revealed what kind of person you are. The climbing community isn’t all that big. You will be remembered.

If anyone was going to buy this from Ryan (way to sully a good name, jerk), hold off on sending him any money, since I’m fairly confident I’ll be able to recall the package.  Something tells me he’s not the most upstanding guy and you might not see your $ again.

SinRopa wrote: If he’s that worried about getting scammed by someone who only takes Zelle, don’t call dibs on items on the free forum posted by people who clearly state upfront that they only take Zelle to cover shipping costs.

I’m not shaming him, I’m just clarifying his complete misrepresentation of the situation.  

Also, I sent him the tracking info hours ago...so an update to his original post would have been nice.

Yeah, with the new info to OP seems very dishonest. 

Package is getting rerouted back to me, and I refunded OP’s $18.  I’ll be out of town for a few days but when I get back I’ll toss the Downmat back on the free forum.  All’s well that ends well.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,395
SinRopa wrote: Package is getting rerouted back to me, and I refunded OP’s $18.  I’ll be out of town for a few days but when I get back I’ll toss the Downmat back on the free forum.  All’s well that ends well.

Right on! Glad you were able to get it back.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Am I being scammed?"