Mountain Project Logo

Cookie Policy won't go away

Original Post
KayJ · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2012 · Points: 65

recenty your cookie policy appears everytime i load  mountain project or any new page on MP or use the backpage. i hit the close option but it always returns each time I load any page. very frustrating to read the site. I don't understand how to stop this or if it is something on my Android.  I don't have this issue on other websites that initially display their cookie policy.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

I started getting the same on iPhone. I was wondering if this was due to traveling in EU, bc they have new internet privacy rules that went into effect a couple of months ago, but it is freaking annoying! Make it stop! I don’t want to see it every time I open a post or route. 

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 462

Same here, makes mobile browsing super annoying. I know it's a free app now and I don't like complaining about free stuff but hopefully something can be done about it.

• I am not using app, this is on the regular website on my Android.  Is it on the app too?Yes it may have started when I was in EU as I was there for a few months  recently but I can't recall if I began here or there, (been back two weeks) but it's terrible . Yes other websites display the cookie info, especially EU sites, and you agree or disagree and it goes away. This site just displays it continuously on every page even when you close it. Maybe it needs an option to agree to it coded. Please make it stop it or I will have to stop using MP!!
Marc Squiddo · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 15

Same on any iOS device. Haaaalp

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Same on my iPhone 6. I’m based in Europe if that makes any difference. Yes, it is very annoying. 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I could never reproduce it myself, but I did find suspicious circumstances that I've updated.

There is a good chance you have to log out and log back in (which clears all your cookies) before this will be fixed for you.  Please let me know if it's fixed!  Thanks.

Nick Wilder wrote: I could never reproduce it myself, but I did find suspicious circumstances that I've updated.

There is a good chance you have to log out and log back in (which clears all your cookies) before this will be fixed for you.  Please let me know if it's fixed!  Thanks.

Nick that seemed to resolve it thanks!!

I have just logged out and logged back in on my iPhone. I’m still getting the cookie policy banner at the bottom of each and every thing I click on

Lena, have you clicked “Accept”?  Thanks for the updates!

Btw both tablet (ipad) and phone

Nick, logged out and in, rebooted app, still getting cookie pop up. Don't see a place to accept, just get the statements saying you use cookies - clicked on the link and read the policy and don't see a place to accept, nor on the initial pop up.

iPhone, was using a vpn, turned off and still happened.

Nick Wilder wrote: Lena, have you clicked “Accept”?  Thanks for the updates!

I don’t see a place to “accept”. Only an x in the corner to close the banner. 

Here is the screenshot:

Edited to add: I have clicked x in the past, and Aldo opened the cookie policy link, hoping to find a solution there...

Brian and Lena, after logging out and back in, click the X to close the cookie message. After that, hopefully it does not appear on subsequent pages you open. 

Sorry nick, no dice. Did that twice and still getting pop up. I can take a video of me doing that and send it to you if that helps at all.

Bryan wrote: Sorry nick, no dice. Did that twice and still getting pop up. I can take a video of me doing that and send it to you if that helps at all.

Yup, same with me.

Oof, fixed for some folks but not others... I made further changes - let me know if it every helps.  To be clear, you first have to click the "X" on the cookie message, and then future pages should NOT show the message.

Nick Wilder wrote: Oof, fixed for some folks but not others... I made further changes - let me know if it every helps.  To be clear, you first have to click the "X" on the cookie message, and then future pages should NOT show the message.

Tried it again, still not working. 

To be clear: I logged out just now. Logged back in. Got the cookie policy notices when I clicked on “forums”. 
Clicked x, the banner went away.Clicked on “latest forum posts”, the banner came back. Clicked x, the banner went away.Clicked on this thread, the banner came back. Clicked x, it went away... 

Posted, got the banner back, clicked to close it. 
noticed typo, clicked on my post again, got the banner back on the editing page... 
and so on. 

I was able to log out and log back in today and no cookie message on my Android.... yeah!  
hope it stays away.   but yes in the past there was no way to "accept" just the x box to close like others mentioned but it never closed!

Grandpa Dave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
Nick Wilder wrote: I could never reproduce it myself, but I did find suspicious circumstances that I've updated.

My question is why is it there in the first place?

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,158
Grandpa Dave wrote:

My question is why is it there in the first place?

The cookie policy? Recital 30 of the GDPR.

[More information.]

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Cookie Policy won't go away"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started