Mountain Project Logo

Great deals on bolts, hangers, and other hardware


drewp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 825
John Byrnes wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.  It all depends what you mean by "easier".   

If you go up there with a hammer, crowbar and bolt-puller, then yeah, they are harder to remove.  But if you take a butane torch (heat the bolt and melt the glue), they come out with minimal force.  Don't forget your oven mitts.   

But if you're trying to pull out a Wave-bolt that has been pounded in, then you've got further problems beyond melting the glue.    Over-size your holes when placing Wavebolts.

Does this depend on the type of glue? Does it work with redhead a7?

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

Polyester, vinylester, epoxyacrylate and epoxy  don't  melt, they are thermosetting. They can soften a bit before they catch fire.

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612
drewp wrote:

Does this depend on the type of glue? Does it work with redhead a7?

I don't know about Redhead A7 specifically, but I would expect it to be similar.  

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612
Jim Titt wrote: Polyester, vinylester, epoxyacrylate and epoxy  don't  melt, they are thermosetting. They can soften a bit before they catch fire.

Picky picky picky.  Okay, they soften enough to remove the bolt.  

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523

somehow the idea of carrying a blowtorch up there with me and then using it right next to rope doesn't exactly sound very appealing. Call me crazy but I think I'd rather be removing expansion bolts than glue ins. 

Taylor Spiegelberg · · Lander & Sheridan, WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,501
https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116116739/photos-of-beautiful-hardware?page=2

^  Cabot Steward shows a recently developed method for removing some types of glue in bolts without a blow torch. Not sure how this would word for straight leg (Fixe) or twist bolts?
John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612
eli poss wrote: somehow the idea of carrying a blowtorch up there with me and then using it right next to rope doesn't exactly sound very appealing. Call me crazy but I think I'd rather be removing expansion bolts than glue ins. 

Okay, you're crazy.    Choose the devil you know, eh?    

Thread the rope through a 2' piece of garden hose.  It'll slide up and down with you and protect the rope.  

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506

Bump. Looking to order hangers and expansion bolts in about three weeks.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Jaren Watson wrote: Bump. Looking to order hangers and expansion bolts in about three weeks.

What kind of bolts? I've got too many wedge bolts at the moment so if your placing in hard rock then I could part with some of those. If you like Jim's rod hangers, you might PM bobby to see if the group buy for team tough is still open or if he's already placed the order.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506
eli poss wrote:

What kind of bolts? I've got too many wedge bolts at the moment so if your placing in hard rock then I could part with some of those. If you like Jim's rod hangers, you might PM bobby to see if the group buy for team tough is still open or if he's already placed the order.

I'm looking for wedge bolts. I don't have any experience with other bolt types, and I don't feel comfortable "experimenting" without someone showing me hands-on how to do it (cue that's what s/he said joke). I'm working in high-quality limestone.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 138
Jaren Watson wrote:

I'm looking for wedge bolts. I don't have any experience with other bolt types, and I don't feel comfortable "experimenting" without someone showing me hands-on how to do it (cue that's what s/he said joke). I'm working in high-quality limestone.

Just go Ebay for Redding Fasteners. Consider using 1/2" for an expected crux bolt. Use SS only. They are cheap enough.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Jaren Watson wrote:

I'm looking for wedge bolts. I don't have any experience with other bolt types, and I don't feel comfortable "experimenting" without someone showing me hands-on how to do it (cue that's what s/he said joke). I'm working in high-quality limestone.

How many do you need? I've got a box of 50 powers 3/8" by 2.75" SS wedge bolts and I wouldn't mind parting with like 20 or 30 of them. 
dnoB ekiM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,131

If you need more than the 20 or 30 that Eli has, I also have some Stainless Hilti KB3 or KBTZ 3/8” by 5” inch for sale; $3 each
I have 400 available to sell.  $3 is my cost; I am not interested in selling for less or in quantities less than 20.

Shipping is free in the 48. Your choice between KB3 or KBTZ.

All are 5 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter.  A standard length bit works fine with these; just drill the whole way.

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612
dnoB ekiM wrote:
All are 5 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter.  A standard length bit works fine with these; just drill the whole way.

5 inches?!  Why so long?

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506
eli poss wrote: How many do you need? I've got a box of 50 powers 3/8" by 2.75" SS wedge bolts and I wouldn't mind parting with like 20 or 30 of them. 

I’m looking to get at least 100, possibly 200. Thanks for the offer, though.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506
dnoB ekiM wrote: If you need more than the 20 or 30 that Eli has, I also have some Stainless Hilti KB3 or KBTZ 3/8” by 5” inch for sale; $3 each
I have 400 available to sell.  $3 is my cost; I am not interested in selling for less or in quantities less than 20.

Shipping is free in the 48. Your choice between KB3 or KBTZ.

All are 5 inches long and 3/8 inch diameter.  A standard length bit works fine with these; just drill the whole way.

Sincere thanks, but I am a moderately impoverished fellow, so I’ll be looking at less expensive options.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506
John Byrnes wrote:

5 inches?!  Why so long?

Just born that way, my good man. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Jaren Watson wrote:

I’m looking to get at least 100, possibly 200. Thanks for the offer, though.

I would keep an eye on on ebay. That's where I got the powers studs from and irrc, it worked out to be around 85 cents per bolt + shipping. I think they also had boxes of 100 that were even cheaper. I like the powers wedge bolts. Perhaps not as high quality or craftsmanship as hilti but more than enough to get the job done and at a pretty reasonable price. 

dnoB ekiM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,131
John Byrnes wrote:

5 inches?!  Why so long?

Why not?  I do not see the downside.  

After all, you should see the choss we bolt!  Jaren took the more obvious joke already.  Joking aside, mainly I have a bunch of these because I have been able to source them easier than other sizes.  I also have 3" and 3.75", but I have no excess of those.

After seeing some of the garbage bolts used here over the years and trying a few bolt types myself (including Fixe and Powers), I find the stainless Hilti KB3 to be clearly superior to other wedge-bolts.  And thanks to Gregger Man's brilliant work in developing wedge removal technology, I am also comfortable that these are the most sustainable choice as of today.  The stainless will last many-many decades here in the desert, and will be easy to replace with a spinner and doodad when the times comes for those climbers (who are yet to be born) to remove and replace them.  

So, when I find them at a decent price and any acceptable length (>=3")...I grab them...however, I may have gone a bit overboard recently!  

Eventually, they will get used...so much choss left out there.  For the real choss...I have 1/2" by 5.5"!
Drew Nevius · · Oklahoma · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 1,884
dnoB ekiM wrote: I find the stainless Hilti KB3 to be clearly superior to other wedge-bolts.  And thanks to Gregger Man's brilliant work in developing wedge removal technology, I am also comfortable that these are the most sustainable choice as of today.  The stainless will last many-many decades here in the desert, and will be easy to replace with a spinner and doodad when the times comes for those climbers (who are yet to be born) to remove and replace them.  
  
Are you confident that the KB3s will be pulled as easily as a powerstud or redhead, despite having a “petal” shaped clip?
Here’s a photo of the two styles I’m thinking of (new on the left, old on the right)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Great deals on bolts, hangers, and other hardware"

Log In to Reply