Mountain Project Logo

Great deals on bolts, hangers, and other hardware


Original Post
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523

Just like the other "deals" threads, I'm starting one for bolts and other fixed hardware as well as bolting tools, etc. I don't know about other people but it can be kind of overwhelming when looking for good deals on bolts while also making sure you aren't buying crap hardware. Perhaps if we can find good enough deals, people will stop buying and installing PS or carbon steel hardware. Maybe if this thread is successful then it might get sticky'ed

The goal of this thread is to improve the quality of hardware going into the rock while also improving the conditions of the local wallet.

Before we get started, lets establish some ground rules:

  1. For bolts and hangers please only post stainless hardware
  2. Hardware outside the hole (rings, quicklinks, chains, lowering hardware, etc) is allowed to be plated steel or galvanized but please provide a disclaimer that this may not be appropriate for maritime climates
  3. All bolts posted should be at least 3/8" diameter. No 5/16" or 1/4"ers!
  4. If somebody posts something that is not strong enough to be appropriate for climbing use, myself included, PLEASE call it out so that those posts can be edited or deleted before somebody buys and places shit hardware. Of course, try to be kind and respectful when calling posts out.
  5. Err on the side of caution when posting. If you post hardware that would only be appropriate in bullet hard rock or bone dry desert conditions please state so in a way that is very clear and explicit. If somebody calls out one of your posts because the hardware is crappy, please either delete your post or edit it so as to make it clear that the hardware is crap. 
Suggestions for changes or additions to the rules are welcome as long as they are reasonable

For the first deal, here's some short SS wedge bolts at just over $1 per bolt for 50 bolts. Anybody wanna split a box of these?
Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,360
Fixe has glue in's on sale 

Team Tough glue in is similar price

ASCA recommends 5 pc over wedge bolt cause they are stronger and easier to replace - correct?
Cabot Steward · · Smog Lake City · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 7
Ed Henicle wrote:ASCA recommends 5 pc over wedge bolt cause they are stronger and easier to replace - correct?

To be honest, glue ins are easier to replace than pretty much any mechanical bolt out there.  So I would go with glue ins for new routes and what not, put removable bolts in as you climb up then the follower puts in glue ins as they follow.

Fritz Nuffer · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 430

Following

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Cabot Steward wrote:

To be honest, glue ins are easier to replace than pretty much any mechanical bolt out there.  So I would go with glue ins for new routes and what not, put removable bolts in as you climb up then the follower puts in glue ins as they follow.

You've got to be trolling right? Glue ins are one of the few bolts that practically cannot be replaced. Mechanical bolts are infinitely easier to replace than glue ins.

I think wedge bolts are much easier to replace than in the past and are supposed to be as easy as 5 piece bolts to replace, assuming you have a power drill. 
Fritz Nuffer · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 430
eli poss wrote: Just like the other "deals" threads, I'm starting one for bolts and other fixed hardware as well as bolting tools, etc. I don't know about other people but it can be kind of overwhelming when looking for good deals on bolts while also making sure you aren't buying crap hardware. Perhaps if we can find good enough deals, people will stop buying and installing PS or carbon steel hardware. Maybe if this thread is successful then it might get sticky'ed

The goal of this thread is to improve the quality of hardware going into the rock while also improving the conditions of the local wallet.

Before we get started, lets establish some ground rules:
  1. For bolts and hangers please only post stainless hardware
  2. Hardware outside the hole (rings, quicklinks, chains, lowering hardware, etc) is allowed to be plated steel or galvanized but please provide a disclaimer that this may not be appropriate for maritime climates
  3. All bolts posted should be at least 3/8" diameter. No 5/16" or 1/4"ers!
  4. If somebody posts something that is not strong enough to be appropriate for climbing use, myself included, PLEASE call it out so that those posts can be edited or deleted before somebody buys and places shit hardware. Of course, try to be kind and respectful when calling posts out.
  5. Err on the side of caution when posting. If you post hardware that would only be appropriate in bullet hard rock or bone dry desert conditions please state so in a way that is very clear and explicit. If somebody calls out one of your posts because the hardware is crappy, please either delete your post or edit it so as to make it clear that the hardware is crap. 
Suggestions for changes or additions to the rules are welcome as long as they are reasonable

For the first deal, here's some short SS wedge bolts at just over $1 per bolt for 50 bolts. Anybody wanna split a box of these?

I’ll split! Or trade you those aforementioned items for a share.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,506

Excellent thread idea, Eli!

Mikey Schaefer · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 246

Another possible option would be to do a "group buy."  This is something that is common on cinema camera user groups.  Someone will reach out to a manufacturer and ask about a discount for a group buy.  Manufacturer will then set a minimum amount of orders to receive a certain discount.  Hypothetical here, ClimbTech says if we can get 20 people to buy 50 hangers or a total of 1000 hangers we all get 30% off.  Often there are levels of discounts, so 1000 hangers gets 30% off and 1500 gets 40% off.  Just a thought.

Here is a recent example for cinema batteries RedUser Group Buy

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 1,153

Fixe literally has SS steel hangers for 2.10 a piece if you buy 500, 2.25 for 100+,  or  3.00 each.   Plus shipping.  That shipping will get ya.

Andrewww · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

Power stud sd4 and sd6 3/8” x 2 3/4” can be found on ebay in boxes of 50. $31.80 and 38.80. Sd4 are 304 and sd6 are 316

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 1,153

Also please search ebay for studs before buying those red heads. (Maybe you'll find some big ol 1/2 inchers)  Also look for hiltis and buy them before I do, and save me from myself

Logan Peterson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 75

Following. Thanks Eli!
Seems like hardware has gone up considerably since the steel tariffs, no?
I've been pretty impressed with Goliath Industrial's 3/8" plated quicklinks. Used to be able to find packs of 25 for about $25 shipped on Ebay, but not today. Disclaimer: NM is not a maritime climate.
If anyone has a good lead on 5-piece (sleeve), 3/8" SS bolts in 2.5"+ lengths, please let me know. I'm game to split a box or buy from a fellow MP'er.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 1,153

(QTY 50) 1/2" x 2 3/4" Concrete Wedge Anchor Stainless Steel Grade 304
Brand New$82.99

Hilti Anchor, Stainless Steel, 3/8" x 5", KB II SS304, Kwik Bolt 2 System, 10 ea
 21.99 plus 6.70 shipping

POWERS 07412 3/8-16 X 2 3/4 STEEL THREADED STUD ANCHORS BOX/50  
US $31.99

Power-Stud™ Wedge Anchor - 3/8" x 3-3/4" - 304 Stainless Steel - UNC - Pkg
Brand New$78.96

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Andrewww wrote: Power stud sd4 and sd6 3/8” x 2 3/4” can be found on ebay in boxes of 50. $31.80 and 38.80. Sd4 are 304 and sd6 are 316

Are those strong enough? Says their strength in sheer is only 2745 lbs or 12.2kN, while the red head trubolt is 4500 lbs in sheer and even stronger in tension.

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 1,153

Eli, are your numbers for the Redheads 4" of embedment?  I'm seeing 7.5kn Tension and 10.2kn shear at 1.5" embedment.   (2000 psi concrete)  Also I'm just nerding out, this shits all better than 000 c3's  so I don't care.

(Edit: Specify Redheads)

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Rprops wrote: Eli, are your numbers for 4" of embedment?  I'm seeing 7.5kn Tension and 10.2kn shear at 1.5" embedment.   (2000 psi concrete)  Also I'm just nerding out, this shits all better than 000 c3's  so I don't care. 

I'm looking at the best listed number on here. 3" inbedment, which may be a bit generous, in the strongest concrete which is probably way weaker than medium to hard rock. Although neither inbedment depth nor the strength of the concrete matter for sheer strength.  

nbrown · · WNC/Broomfield, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 6,900

Someone did a home test on those Powers 3/8 sd4 and sd6 bolts back earlier this year and posted the results here on page 2.

Fritz Nuffer · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 430
Rprops wrote:
This shits all better than 000 c3's  so I don't care.

+1

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
nbrown wrote: Someone did a home test on those Powers 3/8 sd4 and sd6 bolts back earlier this year and posted the results here on page 2.

Thanks, that's super useful. So based on those tests, the power stud is stronger than the red head bolts I posted... and cheaper. Sounds good to me.

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 839

Following.
I would be happy to get in on a group buy.
When I talked to the people at Team Tough early this year they were giving a 20% discount for ordering more than 200 products. Climbtech said they would drop the price of the wave bolt to $3.75 (if memory serves) for orders over 300. Jim Titt has made offhand comments about wholesale prices for orders of $5k-$10k (feel free to correct me Jim).  

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Bobby Hutton wrote: Following.
I would be happy to get in on a group buy.
When I talked to the people at Team Tough early this year they were giving a 20% discount for ordering more than 200 products. Climbtech said they would drop the price of the wave bolt to $3.75 (if memory serves) for orders over 300. Jim Titt has made offhand comments about wholesale prices for orders of $5k-$10k (feel free to correct me Jim).  

I'd be willing to go in on some team tough stuff. I mostly just want the hangers, but I could also buy chain and pigtails. Also Jim, if you're listening, I'm in the market for a blowout pump or bulb. Your euro site has a pump, but team tough doesn't, so if a group order ends up happening would it be possible to get one of those through team tough?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Great deals on bolts, hangers, and other hardware"

Log In to Reply