Mountain Project Logo

Tahquitz/Suicide Rocks Conditions

Original Post
Gabe O'Leary · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 243

Thinking about hitting Tahquitz/Suicide this weekend, but I've never been and I'm wondering about whether the rock will still be wet from the precip over the past couple days.  Is it likely that it's been falling as snow up there?  It looks like there is plenty of south facing stuff there (like Open Book) but I don't want to make the trip if it's likely everything will be dripping...

B B · · San Diego · Joined May 2015 · Points: 5

Check out some webcams: idyllwildcalifornia.com/idy…

DG Henkel · · Idyllwild, Ca · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Hey Gabe,  I think I’m one of the few people still climbing up here and I’m headed to J-Tree for warmer dryer conditions.  If I were you, i would do the same..

Gabe O'Leary · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 243

Bummer well thanks for the info, and if anyone does get out up there and finds anything that's ok let me know.

Anthony B · · Santa Monica · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0
This pic taken 8/12. Even the trails up to the rock are covered in snow right now.
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455
Gabe O'Leary wrote: Thinking about hitting Tahquitz/Suicide this weekend, but I've never been and I'm wondering about whether the rock will still be wet from the precip over the past couple days.  Is it likely that it's been falling as snow up there?  It looks like there is plenty of south facing stuff there (like Open Book) but I don't want to make the trip if it's likely everything will be dripping...

West face through south face of Tahquitz is almost always totally dry, yes may have to kickstep some snow to get there.

Suicide is almost totally dry and temos are prime this time of year.

In short, anything that gets sun is climbable all winter.
corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5
Anthony B wrote:
This pic taken 8/12. Even the trails up to the rock are covered in snow right now.

That's a lotta snow for August 12th!?

Thomas Claiborne · · San Diego · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15

Suicide is a chosspile and you don't want to go there in the winter. Wayyyyyyy too cold. ;-)

x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 200
Anthony B wrote:This pic taken 8/12. Even the trails up to the rock are covered in snow right now.

No way!!!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455
Thomas Claiborne wrote: Suicide is a chosspile and you don't want to go there in the winter. Wayyyyyyy too cold.

No need to scare 'em off T. You could put a pot of gold at the top of every climb and the lemmings would still go chuff choss in Jtree. 

Notice I didn't post a pic of Suicide ;)
Thomas Claiborne · · San Diego · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15
Tradiban wrote:

No need to scare 'em off T. You could put a pot of gold at the top of every climb and the lemmings would still go chuff choss in Jtree. 

Notice I didn't post a pic of Suicide ;)

Edited for clarity. And the reverse, you could put a big pile of poop at the top of every climb in Jtree and they would still go there.

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 131

real lucals know all of the quality climbing is at tahquitz and not suicide. The routes at suicide are too short to be worth the approach hike especially this time of year when there is ankle high post holing to be had. Joshua tree.... LOL who goes there? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Tahquitz/Suicide Rocks Conditions"