Mountain Project Logo

Daisies

Original Post
Haykel Hadjsaid · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hi everyone, i would really appreciate it to fill me in with your expertise, im a trad climber and ready to venture into big wall climbing and i can't understand why normal daisy chains with 3kN strength per loop is chosen over other daisies like the grivel one wich is rated 23KN per loop and similar in length?
Thank you for your help.

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Because daisy chains are positioning devices. 3kN is enough. More strength = more bulk. 

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25
Haykel Hadjsaid wrote: Hi everyone, i would really appreciate it to fill me in with your expertise, im a trad climber and ready to venture into big wall climbing and i can't understand why normal daisy chains with 3kN strength per loop is chosen over other daisies like the grivel one wich is rated 23KN per loop and similar in length?
Thank you for your help.

Conversely why would you think pockets rated at 23kN are better?

When I was silly enough to take a fall onto hooked daisy, I'm glad that the pocket broken at 3kN and took some of the sting out of a >FF1 fall on static.  It may not be the core reason to have a 3kN rating but it is certainly a side benefit.    (transitioning from aid into free and fifi was accidentally left engaged, WHOOPS)
Wes Turner · · az / pa · Joined May 2003 · Points: 30
Haykel Hadjsaid wrote: Hi everyone, i would really appreciate it to fill me in with your expertise, im a trad climber and ready to venture into big wall climbing and i can't understand why normal daisy chains with 3kN strength per loop is chosen over other daisies like the grivel one wich is rated 23KN per loop and similar in length?
Thank you for your help.

its not about "better"... its about what is adequate and safe. Overkill isn't usually necessary.  

Haykel Hadjsaid · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Thank you guys, very helpful, i now have a clear understanding of their purpose. 

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

I have seen tests on the grivel daisy, when shock loaded it snaps at really low loads.

Jonathan Awerbuch · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 41
patto wrote:

When I was silly enough to take a fall onto hooked daisy, I'm glad that the pocket broken at 3kN and took some of the sting out of a >FF1 fall on static.  It may not be the core reason to have a 3kN rating but it is certainly a side benefit.    (transitioning from aid into free and fifi was accidentally left engaged, WHOOPS)

This is why. Keeps your organs from getting squished if you whip on it. Be careful how you attach your carabiner to the daisy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Daisies"