Mountain Project Logo

Outer layer for cold weather

Original Post
Garrett Hennig · · Manassas, VA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

The trend in outdoor clothing seems to sacrifice toughness for lightness. Remember the Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Fleece? That thing would stand up to abuse on sharp rock and keep you toasty. Now they seem a little more delicate. What are some modern outer layers (fleece, down, synthetic) that you would take into a granite chimney climb and not worry about gashing it and eviscerating the insulation?

Ajay Mehta · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 9 days ago · Points: 0

Thank you for the knowledge. 

Alec Entress · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Obligatory "Patagonia R1" comment. I use it as an outer layer fairly often unless it's really windy, and that thing can take some abuse (like getting stuck in granite offwidth).

Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 9,305

I love my Mammut Laser hoody made of indestructible Shoeller fabric.
sadly it's not made anymore...

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 491

BD alpine start windshirt (at least circa 2014/15). It seems too light and thin, but I've been thrashing on mine heavily for years with no tears. It's been on a ton of alpine rock routes and groveled through quite a lot of chimneys/offwidths. It's lighter and easier to clip on the harness than many softshells.

Fleeces all get shredded for me, even the "hardface" fabrics. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

If you are pining for the MH windstopper, I have a jacket to sell you. Size Lg. It's a bit heavy for me to wear into the backcountry, and I really don't need another around-town jacket. Still EXC condition. Blue/grey colors.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Outer layer for cold weather"