Mountain Project Logo

Diving Head First Into Climbing. Discussion for climbers new to being a dirt bag!

Original Post
Cris Garcia · · Michigan · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 42

So to make this clear, I wouldn't consider myself a dirtbag, YET! I think there is a vast discussion that could be had about what that entails blah blah blah but that's for a different discussion. I want to instead speak of my passion for climbing and what I'm doing to pursue this passion.
 I've been climbing for a little over a year now and I'm improving at a pretty steady pace. I've always been a frugal person from a young age and have always had a place in my heart for minimalistic travel. That introduced, I'm planning on moving to Kentucky next year in June/July to finish the climbing season there. I would then return to Michigan for the winter and hopefully get to save money by working at our local climbing gym. thereafter I would take on an open-ended climbing trip to see where my life takes me.
My question to the climbing community here would be what is your guy's experiences on prolonged trips where quite obviously you can't escape some of lifes traps like life/car insurance and all the rest of that first world jazz? What careers are there in the general field of climbing where someday I could transform this open-ended trip into a more stable, life still fully emersed in the climbing life? Is it worth being certified by the AMGA ? Any and all thoughts on these matters or more are greatly appreciated from a very sincere 20-year-old with his life ahead of him :)

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26

You need at least one super-rich parent that feels guilty for "not being there more" to finance everything (but you leave that out of all the IG posts, of course- you want it to seem like you're living meagerly, even though most "dirtbags" are wearing really clean $500 jackets and $120 pants and have shiny gear), an IG account (of course) and a high-res camera.  Preferably mounted to a drone.  This should go without saying but #vanlife is hard to do without a #van so you may want to start getting prices.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Just dont pursue climbing life from the internet or you'll lose out on valuable climbing time.  

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

Before my disability from the military kicked in, I worked at a gym and went to craigslist gigs while living on the road, and worked for temp agencies.  I became a SPRAT and IRATA rope access tech, which I used to work high rise window cleaning, and I've taken a PCGI top rope guide course.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

I would postpone moving to KY until September at the earliest, and do your June-August elsewhere.

As a 20yo, you can presumably be on your parent's medical insurance plan for 5 more years, so health insurance headache is sort of kicked down the road, assuming your parents are cool with paying for that, while you "pursue your passion".

If you haven't yet, keep a detailed budget for 6 months or so, recording every purchase, even if it is a can of Red Bull from the gas station, to figure out how much money you are paying for various categories. Most people underestimate their spending if asked how much money they pay for gas, food, etc.

Clipping Chains · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I’ll give my standard advice: Live somewhere close to climbing and work. Put your frugal sensibilities to work and save, save, save. When you have a nice financial cushion and you’ve gained some skills, then go travel. You’ll be a much better climber and you’ll get more out of the experience.

My wife and I are planning for our first extended road trip and I’m in my thirties. I couldn’t be happier that I waited and didn’t blow the opportunity on climbing moderates for a year and then having to claw my way into a career later.

Lena chita wrote: I would postpone moving to KY until September at the earliest, and do your June-August elsewhere.

As a 20yo, you can presumably be on your parent's medical insurance plan for 5 more years, so health insurance headache is sort of kicked down the road, assuming your parents are cool with paying for that, while you "pursue your passion".

If you haven't yet, keep a detailed budget for 6 months or so, recording every purchase, even if it is a can of Red Bull from the gas station, to figure out how much money you are paying for various categories. Most people underestimate their spending if asked how much money they pay for gas, food, etc.

Is June and August just too hot? I’ve been there twice but both times were later in the year. 
Paul Hutton wrote: Before my disability from the military kicked in, I worked at a gym and went to craigslist gigs while living on the road, and worked for temp agencies.  I became a SPRAT and IRATA rope access tech, which I used to work high rise window cleaning, and I've taken a PCGI top rope guide course.

This sounds really interesting, being fair I don’t know what SPRAT ,IRATA or PCGI is could you expand?

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Cris Garcia wrote:
Is June and August just too hot? I’ve been there twice but both times were later in the year. 

I have sent my hardest stuff at the Red in the summer.  Sure....its hot, but you get used to it.  Only climb in the shade.  

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
Lena chita wrote: 

To the OP:

At twenty years old, I suggest just going out, having fun, and climbing as much as possible without worrying about certs.  A lot of young climbers want to go out and get certs with the minimum amount of experience.  If you concentrate on just climbing over the next five years, you'll be able to float through the certification classes based on your experience.  Don't become a Juggler.
Eric Carlos wrote:

I have sent my hardest stuff at the Red in the summer.  Sure....its hot, but you get used to it.  Only climb in the shade.  

The few times I’ve been there it’s been a game of changing or running from the sun. I think it would be just fine in the summer. :)

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Cris Garcia wrote:

Yes, summer is generally too hot. And, more importantly, humid. People still climb, of course.

But if you have an option of going anywhere, why wouldn't you pick a destination that is better for summer?

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

95%+ humidity is an acquired taste.

Lena chita wrote:

Yes, summer is generally too hot. And, more importantly, humid. People still climb, of course.

But if you have an option of going anywhere, why wouldn't you pick a destination that is better for summer?

I’m not opposed to going elsewhere those months it just close to home (6 hours) I suppose I could also go to devils lake or lions head in Canada however the climbing community isn’t as strong as it is at the RRG(assuming here).Any suggestions on where to go instead??

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
Justin Bogan wrote: Become a traveling nurse. They seem to have the best schedules.  Then you can move and work in multiple climbing destinations and have a job in a health care field plus plenty of time off. A degree where you should always be able to find work when you want it would be a huge advantage.  Not like my BS liberal arts degree.  

You'll have to work in a single location for at least a year first. You need a little experience before starting the travel gigs. Source: I know a ton of nurses and have worked in the medial industry.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

A few more things:
Do you have a car right now and is it paid off?
Do you have at least a couple grand in your bank account?
If yes to all, pack your shit, hit the road, and figure it out as you go. Get some gigs, wait some tables, dig some ditches, anything. Just go. It's not what I did but if I could do it again, it's how I would do it.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Justin Bogan wrote: Become a traveling nurse. They seem to have the best schedules.  Then you can move and work in multiple climbing destinations and have a job in a health care field plus plenty of time off. A degree where you should always be able to find work when you want it would be a huge advantage.  Not like my BS liberal arts degree.  

If you become a nurse just to climb you will burn out hard and fast. 

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7

Oh my god, I couldn't even make it past the first few posts. What a bunch of (dream) crushers. This kid is young, psyched, and full of potential!

My advice would be to climb the fuck out of everything you can while slowly starting to put in work toward a career that is flexible and mobile. Like something where you can freelance and work remotely (say software design) or where you can be mobile and work seasonally (maybe travel or per diem nursing).

And seriously, do NOT have children.

Boom, awesome climbing life.

caesar.salad wrote: A few more things:
Do you have a car right now and is it paid off?
Do you have at least a couple grand in your bank account?
If yes to all, pack your shit, hit the road, and figure it out as you go. Get some gigs, wait some tables, dig some ditches, anything. Just go. It's not what I did but if I could do it again, it's how I would do it.

I have a 2018 Honda Civic hatchback which is more than enough for me to travel in, the back seats fold down all the way so I can even sleep in it. It’ll be payed off before I leave to go on my trip. And as far as the cash situation goes I’m planning on climbing in the red the last two months of the climbing season next year coming back home to Michigan to work through the winter to save a few grand before really leaving on my open ended trip. I would like to be AMGA certified so if anyone on here wants to help me as to where to start I’d love you forever!!

richard rakus wrote: You might want to get an internship at a national park, then they might hire you part time and then full time. there are many that you might look at to start out and build your portfolio. They might also give you classes that might help you down the road. Good luck and keep a journal. You might get a book out of it. 

Thanks! I write now as it is anyways. It’s very therapeutic and I feel like I have the privilege to live a very unconventional life so we’ll see where it goes :) much love from the Midwest!

Short Fall Sean wrote: Oh my god, I couldn't even make it past the first few posts. What a bunch of (dream) crushers. This kid is young, psyched, and full of potential!

My advice would be to climb the fuck out of everything you can while slowly starting to put in work toward a career that is flexible and mobile. Like something where you can freelance and work remotely (say software design) or where you can be mobile and work seasonally (maybe travel or per diem nursing).

And seriously, do NOT have children.

Boom, awesome climbing life.

100% with you on not having children anytime soon! And I’ve been getting into video editing as well as journalism/ writing in general I’m just not sure where to start with it all. Thanks so much for the good vibes. I’m leaving on a trip to Mexico the 30th to go climb in el Portrero Chico so if that interests any of you I’ll be documenting the trip :)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Diving Head First Into Climbing. Discussion for…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started