Mountain Project Logo

Yet Another Bolt Remover

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Out of curiosity, what's the status on this?

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 241

I have received mine.  It is beautiful.

cleatis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 75
Nate Doyle wrote: Out of curiosity, what's the status on this?

Hey Nate,

I made a run of 10 and have started shipping them out!  Feedback has all been positive so far, I think I have 3 that are unspoken for.  Let me know if you want one.

Andrew Wevers · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 27

I would totally love one but have yet to bolt / repair bolts on any route yet. Would love to learn, as there's a ton of local crags here that could use some work.

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 337

I wonder if you can hold one of the remaining YABRs and we get a few donations together to have it sent to the ASCA? (assuming they are in need of one / would benefit)

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

Is there a video of this thing in action?

K Weber wrote: Is there a video of this thing in action?

No, but I can take one in a few weeks when I train a few people on extracting bolts.

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 819

I got mine about a week ago and it works like a charm despite being so pretty. I have pulled out 6 or 8 3/8th wedge bolts with it after spinning them with no problems. The removable handle is really slick. Included in the package was a very handy care and feeding sheet with an included spare parts list. Big Thanks to cleatis for putting the effort into refining and manufacturing this puller and of course big thanks to Greg for all the R and D on the original pullers. 

K Weber wrote: Is there a video of this thing in action?

If Bobby reminds me, I'll try to take some video this weekend.

Here is a quick video of Bobby using the YABR to pull a long wedge bolt and this after spinning it first:

Note: we were by the river, so the audio was poor; even after post. Should we have a better location next time, one where we're not near to the river all day pulling bolts, we may create some better quality videos.
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,510
Nate Doyle wrote: Here is a quick video of Bobby using the YABR to pull a long wedge bolt and this after spinning it first:

Note: we were by the river, so the audio was poor; even after post. Should we have a better location next time, one where we're not near to the river all day pulling bolts, we may create some better quality videos.

Give that long hair a high-and-tight and I will take you seriously.

Tradiban wrote:

Give that long hair a high-and-tight and I will take you seriously.

The hair is off limits. I found out the hard way. You can give him crap about my yellow cordelette, though. 

michalm · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 207

The ASCA could definitely use one of these... what an awesome tool! It looks really easy to use and shouldn't bind as much as threaded designs, with less danger of snapping a stud. Since the Access Fund put the Hurley Jr project on hold, it has been more difficult for rebolters to get their hands on good stud pullers. Greg Barnes only has two pullers available, and I have been using one of them full-time.

One design request and it's not terribly a big deal, is the little "lock nut", the one on the bottom of the YABR that holds the red square part (the red part that touches the rock), it would be nice if there were two of these screws (or something) to better hold that red square piece in place. Ours came loose and we could have dropped it.

Currently there is a second hole but, it doesn't have threads. Threads could be added on our end, I suppose and we'd have to find a little lock nut (allen nut?) to fit (this hole is larger than the other that has the allen nut) but, for future runs it might be nice if it was updated.

Hope that makes sense.

Nate Doyle wrote: One design request and it's not terribly a big deal, is the little "lock nut", the one on the bottom of the YABR that holds the red square part (the red part that touches the rock), it would be nice if there were two of these screws (or something) to better hold that red square piece in place. Ours came loose and we could have dropped it.

Currently there is a second hole but, it doesn't have threads. Threads could be added on our end, I suppose and we'd have to find a little lock nut (allen nut?) to fit (this hole is larger than the other that has the allen nut) but, for future runs it might be nice if it was updated.

Hope that makes sense.

Hey Nate,

That is good feedback. I will consider changing that piece for future runs.  The second hole in your particular puller was a mistake by the machinist.  You could certainly drill/tap that hole and fill it with the appropriate set screw.  I think a better plan would be to pull square piece off, find the mark where the current set screw hits the steel tube (the set screw should have left a bit of a dent/scratch), and then take a drill and drill bit and drill a little dimple for the set screw to sit in.  Then put some Locktite on the set screw when you reassemble.
cleatis wrote:

Hey Nate,

That is good feedback. I will consider changing that piece for future runs.  The second hole in your particular puller was a mistake by the machinist.  You could certainly drill/tap that hole and fill it with the appropriate set screw.  I think a better plan would be to pull square piece off, find the mark where the current set screw hits the steel tube (the set screw should have left a bit of a dent/scratch), and then take a drill and drill bit and drill a little dimple for the set screw to sit in.  Then put some Locktite on the set screw when you reassemble.

Set screw. That's the word I was looking for.

To be honest, tightening up the screw a bit more might have solved the issue. Bobby will have to chime in on that after using it again, however, as I didn't get out again with them today. If not, that certainly sounds like it will work in his tool's case (drill a little bit and locktite.)

Again, it wasn't a big deal but, thought I'd mention it, nonetheless, and this for the future.
michalm wrote: The ASCA could definitely use one of these... what an awesome tool! It looks really easy to use and shouldn't bind as much as threaded designs, with less danger of snapping a stud. Since the Access Fund put the Hurley Jr project on hold, it has been more difficult for rebolters to get their hands on good stud pullers. Greg Barnes only has two pullers available, and I have been using one of them full-time.

I just sent one to Crusher for the Boulder Climbing Community.  If there is someone there or at the ASCA that would like to get involved with this project, I'd love it.  I can either supply the machined parts from my machinist or the designs for a local machine shop to make, and instructions on putting them together (easy).  I'd love it if someone else served at the contact for ordering, distribution, and shipping.  I am open to other ideas as well.  My interest is making some sort of puller more widely available, and in IMHO this puller is the simplest to manufacture on a larger scale and think it works really well (thanks again to Greg German and others for pioneering the design, ideas, techniques ). 

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 337

Any left from that last run?
I'm sure we can wrangle a few donations to get one to the ASCA

cleatis wrote:

I just sent one to Crusher for the Boulder Climbing Community.  If there is someone there or at the ASCA that would like to get involved with this project, I'd love it.  I can either supply the machined parts from my machinist or the designs for a local machine shop to make, and instructions on putting them together (easy).  I'd love it if someone else served at the contact for ordering, distribution, and shipping.  I am open to other ideas as well.  My interest is making some sort of puller more widely available, and in IMHO this puller is the simplest to manufacture on a larger scale and think it works really well (thanks again to Greg German and others for pioneering the design, ideas, techniques ). 

I'd be open to discussing this with you. I'll PM you.

Matt N wrote: Any left from that last run?
I'm sure we can wrangle a few donations to get one to the ASCA

I've sold all of them!  I've had a few people since then want one, so perhaps another run is justified if I can get enough numbers.  I'll make a list and put you on it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Yet Another Bolt Remover"