Mountain Project Logo

Lynn Woods after dark

Original Post
malnuboy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 60

Anyone know if bouldering/any activity is allowed at the Lynn Woods after dark? I was thinking about heading out tomorrow but probably cant get there from work until about 3:30. I've only been there once but think I would be okay with a headlamp. 

M Cat · · Hell · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,562

According to google it is open 6am-6pm (which gives you about 90 min to climb after dark?). Seems like parking would be the biggest obstacle to night sessioning, Lynn is certainly in a developed area but it’s pretty woodsy. Maybe avoid the golf course after closing time?

Let me know how it goes.

Joe M · · MA and NH · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 11,725

Make sure to jingle your keys in the parking lot...

Lincoln Mahan · · Golden · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 463

Could prolly score a cheapie on your way out

Dan Riti · · Wakefield, MA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 959

I believe the park is technically closed at dusk, but I have bouldered there before at night without issues (but your mileage may vary). I found the trails very easy to follow at night, especially if you have a decent head lamp.

Just be aware that if you park your car in the main lot, it's possible for them to lock the gate on you, trapping your car inside until the next day. 

Thanks Dan, I noticed the "closed at dusk" sign when I pulled in today. I left around 5:30 and the gates were still open with a few cars still in the parking area, who knows.

It was only my second time there so I just checked out some boulders in the Stone Tower area, I was happy to find some nice quality boulders right along the trail. It was cool, I'm hoping to explore it some more.

Joe M. wrote: Make sure to jingle your keys in the parking lot...

Why go through all that work, I don't even have to jingle them when Im at the Sitdown area at Lincoln Woods.

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 12,579

How did you make out?

I won’t condone breaking the park rules; however I am aware of night bouldering taking place there.
If you must break the rules and enter the park at night, don’t park in the main lots. There are plenty of other places to park. Hit me up if you need info.
Remember that the City of Lynn owns the park and currently allows climbing. Please don’t do anything to put that at risk.

Tim McGivern wrote: How did you make out?

I won’t condone breaking the park rules; however I am aware of night bouldering taking place there.

If you must break the rules and enter the park at night, don’t park in the main lots. There are plenty of other places to park. Hit me up if you need info.
Remember that the City of Lynn owns the park and currently allows climbing. Please don’t do anything to put that at risk.

So, I have been twice since my post and have been out before 6 each time, but not before dusk. I guess the city's website says six but some signs say dusk. Either way, both times there have been people walking their dogs into the park after I was leaving. I have parked at the Great Woods Road lot both times. I guess there is some sort of group that meets on Tuesday afternoons/nights (Tuesday Topouts?) at random Lynn Woods and North Shore bouldering spots. I would be way more apt to jump in on that, assuming it was all in on the up and up. That said Tim, if you go out in the afternoon, pretty much any weeknight I could get to Lynn around 3:30 and would love to get out with another person. I know its not that bad, but I do get a bit sketched out being in the woods by myself after dark.

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 12,579

Shoot me a PM. There’s always crews that go out a couple times a week. Local Lynn/Peabody and Cape Ann spots.
I’m sure we’ll go out tomorrow. My man Jamison set up Tues Top outs. He’s up in Cape Ann. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Lynn Woods after dark"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started