Mountain Project Logo

Camp Fire survivors in our community

Original Post
Ellis L · · Chico, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 71

Greetings people of the proj,

As you may know, the recent deadly and destructive wildfire that swept through the foothills of Butte County, in northern California, is contained. The smoke has cleared but the damage continues to unfold. As an employee of the local climbing gym in neighboring Chico, I am continuously reminded that numerous members of our climbing community have lost everything. In effort to help, we’ve kept the gym doors open to accommodate anybody who wants to come in and climb/exercise/take a hot shower – but I want to do more.

Over the past few months I have mentored and offered advice to a few local boys, Billy and Spencer, who “caught the bug.” I’ve watched them progress in the gym over the last 6 months as they gained interest and soon ventured outside to rig TR’s and learn the systems. Before long, they collected a rope, draws, and some cams and nuts so that they could explore some of our adventurous local crack climbs, returning to the gym with epic stories and grins, I knew they had found their outlet. As a relatively new climber myself, it brings me so much joy to see these kids develop their skills, knowledge, and confidence and apply it on the rock.

Unfortunately, Billy and Spencer both lost their homes and vehicles in the Camp fire, along with all their newly acquired gear. Please help these young people continue their partnership and journey in climbing! Our climbing community in Butte County is small and tight-knit, yet very inclusive and passionate about sharing what we have. Climbing is an outlet for us in trying times and I hope that these climbers can find clarity again on the rock, amidst the haze of this tragedy.

Any donations such as shoes, harness, static or dynamic rope, 'biners or quickdraws, slings/nuts/cams will go directly to Billy, Spencer, and the other members of the climbing community who lost their belongings in the fire. I will continue to post updates. Please DM me or comment and I'll provide any further details. Donations can be sent to:

The Terrain Park Climbing Center
931 W. 5th St.
Chico, CA

On behalf of the climbers of Butte County, we THANK YOU!
-Ellis Lindenthal

Ty Gilroy · · Ontario, CA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 5

Ellis what you are doing is admirable. I will see what I can donate. Sending positive vibes your way

Dr Strangelove · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Here's a bump

Z Winters · · Mazama, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 220

Do you know what size of rock shoes Billy and Spencer wear?

Erik Sloan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 144

Hey thanks for doing this! These tragedies show that the mountains don't just need us to venerate them, they show that we need the mountains to enrich and nourish our lives.

Sent you guys a new Yosemite guidebook. Keep the stoke high!

Woot Woot! E
Rockclimbyosemite.com

Ben Pellerin · · Spaceship Earth · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0
Z Winters wrote: Do you know what size of rock shoes Billy and Spencer wear?

This. Got a couple pairs of used shoes in decent condition with plenty of rubber left if they don't mind the smell.

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 205

Good on you for organizing.
Happy to send along some draws and an ATC I don't often use.

You may consider emailing some of the larger gym companies (planet granite, etc) not just for donations but to see if they will send angl message out to all their email list people. 

Michael Holland · · Lander, WY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 5

I've got a set of nuts I can send along!

Will put in the mail tomorrow or tuesday!

Ellis L · · Chico, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 71

All, thanks for considering! I have talked with the boys and concluded that some shoes sz. 10-11, and any of those spare draws, nuts, 'biners, ATC, etc. would be a fantastic gift put to good use. We are still getting in contact with/waiting to hear from many other friends in Paradise, Magalia, and the surrounding areas that were affected by the wildfire - This is a slow process, as those affected have a lot to worry about right now, but getting this response here on MP is tremendous and much appreciated. I'll continue to update when I know more in the near future!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Camp Fire survivors in our community"