Mountain Project Logo

Indoor Tension Flash Board Mounting Ideas

Original Post
Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 307

It's time for me to get serious about training if I want to keep progressing, and my frequent travel has pushed me to buy a Flash Board from Tension Climbing over a more fixed, larger hangboard.

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a good system for mounting the Tension Flash Board indoors, preferably above a door frame. I don't want to mount a big piece of wood, since the whole idea for the board is that it is portable, and I want to be able to take the board down when not in use. In addition, I'll be living in China for over a month, and want to figure out a system that has minimal impact on the wall above the door frame of the house I'll be living in while working overseas.

I've seen a lot of mounting systems for more traditional style hangboards, but I haven't yet seen a system that looks good for the Flash Board. Personally, I was thinking that a couple of long screws into the studs above the door frame left partially exposed would allow that loop of rope to rest easily, and it wouldn't be easily visible if the board wasn't hanging there, assuming they were painted the color of the wall.

What thoughts and ideas do you have?

Grey Sud · · Golden · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 25

Just buy a 10$ portable pull up bar and hang on that

Matthew Tangeman · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 200
Grey Sud wrote: Just buy a 10$ portable pull up bar and hang on that

Yup, that's what I've done.

Grey Sud wrote: Just buy a 10$ portable pull up bar and hang on that

I thought of this as an option, but was hoping for something a little less bulky, where all I'd need to do is grab the board, flip the cord up and hang. Any other ideas? 

Grey Sud · · Golden · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 25

A tree branch

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Pull-up bar at the gym. Otherwise use the door mounting system used for resistance bands.  

It weighs maybe an ounce and is about the size of a golf ball with some webbing coming out the end. No promises anything in the system is rated for body weight but I’ve been doing it successfully so far. 

Clipping Chains · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I’ve found an aid hook or two to work well if the door frame is solid. It will likely leave a small indention, but who the hell is going to see it?

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 220

I would hang mine in hotel stairwells using a sling or two, usually could find something to hang it off of, welded steel handrails mostly, sometimes bolts that have an exposed nub portion after the nut (don't swing too much if do that, your sling my pop off) or hotel gym pull up towers. Added benefit if use vacant stairwell, can run the stairs in between sets. Parking decks often have stuff you can hang off of as well.

Clipping Chains wrote: I’ve found an aid hook or two to work well if the door frame is solid. It will likely leave a small indention, but who the hell is going to see it?

That's pretty clever! My doorframe creaks a little bit if I pull down on it (less than body weight), but I'll keep this option in mind if I can figure out if it's strong enough.

Clipping Chains · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Yeah, if the frame is a little less solid, two hooks help to distribute the weight. Give it a couple test hangs for sure!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Indoor Tension Flash Board Mounting Ideas"