Mountain Project Logo

Help me size my mum’s new AT setup?

Original Post
Rue Kennington · · Essex, MA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hi mpers! My mum wants to pick up AT to complement her XC skiing and has asked me to choose her a setup, but I’m floundering a bit. I keep going round and round with what size range I should be looking at. She’s 165cm tall and weighs 125lbs. My heart tells me 95-100 underfoot and upper 150s long but then my heart is influenced by skiing so much out west. Is that really what she needs for VT/NH/Dacks tree skiing as well as hiking up the backs of resorts and skiing down the groomers? My logic is she’s a phenomenal skier on groomers but needs some help in powder and trees, so a shorter and wider ski would soften that learning curve. On the other hand, going down to the 80s range underfoot would save so much weight, making it less of a shock coming from XC. I’d be grateful for some guidance out of going round and round and round. 

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

I'd ask her what sort of skiing she ACTUALLY wants to do/ would be interested in doing. If she's not interested in east coast powder tree skiing then you really don't have to worry about that. But I'd guess nothing more than 95 waisted would be a good choice.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Help me size my mum’s new AT setup? "