Mountain Project Logo

Totem Basic camming angle

Original Post
Delaney Bray-Stone · · Kimberley, BC · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 5

Hello,

I am trying to find information about the Totem Basic camming angle. I have read that they have a 16° camming angle. I have also read that it is purposefully not a constant camming angle, but I cannot find any information beyond that. Anyone have the deets? Totem doesn't seem to have the owners manual for the Basics on their website anymore.

The reason for my inquiry is that I climb primarily on limestone with a low friction co-efficient, where cams such as metolius (13.25°) with lower camming angles are generally preferred since they are less reliant on friction. I also wonder if the softer metal used for Basics would help on slick rock?

Thanks for the insights friends,

Delaney.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

I believe the Totem Totems have a 12.5 to 13 degree camming angle, while the Totem Basics have a constant 16 degree angle.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Totem basic cams use the alien design which had a camming angle of 16 degrees. Totem cams have a geometric camming angle of like 20 something but the effective camming angle depends on how much the lobes are retracted ranging between 12 and 13 degrees. Thus totems have the lowest effective camming angle of any cam on the market while aliens have the highest.

However, aliens get a higher coefficient of friction due to the softer alloy of aluminum used, which is supposed to even out about the same holding power on slick rock as other cams with a lower camming angle.

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
Delaney Bray-Stone wrote:The reason for my inquiry is that I climb primarily on limestone with a low friction co-efficient, where cams such as metolius (13.25°) with lower camming angles are generally preferred since they are less reliant on friction. I also wonder if the softer metal used for Basics would help on slick rock?

All cams rely 100% on friction.  
And I dont think Totem basics use the softer metal.  But the Fixe aliens do.  
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Totem Basic camming angle"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.