Mountain Project Logo

Best knee / elbow pro for offwidths?

Original Post
Jon L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 35

I've seen folks like Shanti Pack wear some sort of elbow and knee protection, haven't been able to figure out what it is. Would love to hear about people's preferred method of armoring up for off widths. Sent stuff like generator crack without too much scraping but want start practicing on 11ish offwidths in 2019. Thanks!

blakeherrington · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 1,060
Russ Walling · · Overlord @ FishProducts · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,407

Some of it depends on the girth of your appendages.  I have a big knee and mostly wanted it to go into the cracks you are talking about doing... 6" type stuff or so.  Bigger than that mattered less.  So, I had thin ones and some and thicker ones, most like the links above.  Most of the time though I used nothing, because of the wide knee and elbows.

It also depends on what you are wearing and the one thing you don't want is for the damn things to roll up on you so you can't get anything in the crack.  You are not climbing anything if you have a rubber donut around your arm or leg.  

Under clothes go with the nylon cover on the outside and the pure neoprene on the inside against your skin... if you just need a quick and sticky fix like when wearing a tshirt, put the nylon side toward your skin and have the rubbery outside part grabbing the rock... it's almost like cheating.  Oh, and tape your pant legs down around the ankles.  Critical.

Jon L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 35

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Russ Walling · · Overlord @ FishProducts · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,407

Check this out too ​WideFetish​​​

The russian spammers wiped out the forum but there is tons of info on techniqes etc on the regular site

AaronJ · · Saint Louis, MO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 231

Pretty sure Pamela Shanti Pack uses McDavid.

e.g. ​McDavid knee sleeve​​​

rkrum · · Here and there · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 75

Don't get a neoprene elbow sleeve, they are not nearly breathable enough. I am spacing the name right now but get the mcdavid stretch woven elbow thing.

Neoprene works well for knee pads though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best knee / elbow pro for offwidths?"