Mountain Project Logo

ExpertVoice discounts on gun related goods

Original Post
Eric Gavaletz · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Disclaimer, I grew up in a rural area, and was surrounded by guns and gun culture from an early age. I am not debating gun rights, ownership, morality etc. I understand people have strong feelings on this. Hunting is a thing, and people enjoy the outdoors in their own way...

In the Venn diagram of climbers, climbers who shoot and people that shoot, the middle is not empty. I understand that there is significant revenue from selling all things tactical. I am not sure how I feel about scrolling through the ExpertVoice site and being bombarded with brands that picture assault type weapons. I have chatted with someone at the AAC (why I have an ExpertVoice account at all) at a film event, and they seemed unconcerned with the association. Just curious what others think? Are the brands on the site aware that they are showing up right next to assault weapon accessories (see example)?

Thoughts? I am still feeling this out...

Gavin W · · Langley, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

“I am not debating gun rights, morality, etc”

“Assault weapons”

jlind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 31

I believe AR actually means Armalite Rifle, not Assault Rifle.  

Caped Baldy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 110

You say you're not debating gun rights and morality, but it's obvious you're trying to get gun-related companies booted from the site, and obvious you want the AAC to take your stance.  Putting your disclaimer up and in bold makes as much difference as the guy that says he has black friends, then continues to make racist jokes.  Doesn't sound like you're "feeling this out" at all and already have your mind made up.  This sounds more like a thinly veiled crusade to shut certain businesses out.  Thanks Gavin Newsom.  

By feeling it out, I am trying to understand how others feel on the subject, not necessarily that I am trying to make up my mind about gun rights and morality by posting to MP. So maybe not the best wording. The latter would be a little silly. I mention assault weapons (as a class of firearms) because they are more polarizing than grandmother's shotgun. I am not advocating for the gun-related companies to be removed from the site as that is likely a larger source of revenue for ExpertVoice than climbing gear sales; however, I do wonder if all the companies on the site would want to be associated with something so polarizing. Advertisers pulling adds from controversial shows, sites, etc. are a good example of an aversion to polarizing topics. If anything, I could imagine some companies leaving by choice.

This issue on my part stems from not wanting these thumbnails showing up on my work computer any more than I want ads for sex toys. I have nothing against sex toys, but I don't think it's appropriate for the work place, right? Simply being able to filter them out of my own list would be a great solution, and practically I just won't use that site while coworkers that might stereotype me as a gun nut are around.

This is one of those topics where telling someone one thing about yourself and their reaction tells you everything you need to know about them.

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Use the site at home. Problem solved. 

Agreed, Nate. Thanks.

Gavin W · · Langley, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

Misunderstanding on my part perhaps, but your concern re: work access is reasonable. I just typically end up talking to people who think "assault weapon" means that it is more dangerous when it's realistically just visual stuff (i.e. "tacticool").

I believe that the site allows you to browse based on specific categories? Eg. climb, ski, camp, etc. That should filter out gun-related brands if you're concerned about that (in my experience with ExpertVoice the gun-related brands are usually lower down on the list so they won't show up on your first landing page).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "ExpertVoice discounts on gun related goods"