Mountain Project Logo

Is it possible yet to move MP data info to SD card on android?

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

As of a few months ago I reinstalled the MP and was not longer able to transfer MP app data to SD card.

Is this yet possible? Until it is, trying to download MP area info and actually use the app's potental is a losing battle. My smartphone's native storage is not large enough.

Are such questions irrelevant?

Mike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 30

It currently works for me. Droid Turbo 2 running android version 7.0.
I am also running the latest version of the app

Mike wrote: It currently works for me. Droid Turbo 2 running android version 7.0.
I am also running the latest version of the app

So you CAN store onto SD card?

If so I'll try another reinstall of the app.

Yes, I have mine on the SD card. I know for many people this doesn't work and I've begun to wonder if it is maybe because I put it on there a long time ago. Maybe finding an old APK and moving it to the SD card then updating while it is already on the card?

Mike wrote: Yes, I have mine on the SD card. I know for many people this doesn't work and I've begun to wonder if it is maybe because I put it on there a long time ago. Maybe finding an old APK and moving it to the SD card then updating while it is already on the card?

OK,  How long ago? Can you now both download new areas and store to the SD card?

If so, how the heck does one find this old APK?

Yep my whole app and all its data is on the SD card. I probably first moved my app in early 2016 so I might try an APK from then. Always be careful where you get your APK files as other sites don't have as robust of controls as places like the Google play store. That said apkpure.com has worked for me and has versions all the way back to 2015

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I tried several versions the 3.XX series allows moving data to SD card, but will not download any area information. The 4.XX versions do not allow moving data to the SD card but do download area info.

Still stuck.

I may have found a fix. My phone is Motorola Moto E running Android 5.1 which supports SD card as "portable storage" i.e. the intent is as a method of moving data to other devices like your computer. It also enables apps that include "move to SD card" function to use the SD card, but not those like current MP app which do not.

Apparently, later Android versions starting with 6.0 allow designating the SD card as "internal storage" so the system recognizes it as native vs removable storage. So theoretically, flashing the phone with android 6.0 and configuring card as internal storage "should" do it. And apparently this Moto E will accept android Ver 6.0

PITA for me as I am not savvy with modding smartphones from root, but here we go... Wish me luck.

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Good luck!

Thanks.

What an adventure. In the last 3 days I learned to hack my Android phone. I have wanted to do this for years anyway to get rid of bloatware including the bundled Google Idiocy.

-unlock bootloader
-Install TWRP recovery tool to allow flashing phone in order to:
-Install a different Operating system/ROM (lineageOS) which allows configuring SD card as internal storage
-Install minimal (pico) Google app function so I can select what google stuff to add on my phone (the only thing I want is Maps, otherwise Google can F%^k off... no account, no gmail, no apps that ceaselessly update and restart, no tracking etc )
-Use SD card as "internal storage" so app data is stored to the card
-Download MP app off APK Pure since I am not associating phone with Google account to access Play store.

-As far as I can tell, Current MP app now stores to SD card!

Nice work!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Is it possible yet to move MP data info to SD c…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started