Mountain Project Logo

Retire harness or duct tape it?

Original Post
Shane Rosanbalm · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 65

The stitching in the very tip of my belay loop is starting to come unraveled. It is a Black Diamond Momentum. The grey bar tack on the inner two layers of the loop is still intact. The black stitching that holds the outer wrap in place is what's coming loose. Do I:
   (a) duct tape just the unraveling inch or so to prevent further unraveling or
   (b) buy a new harness?
The harness is in great shape otherwise.
Ed Murray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 10

New harness - especially if you're belaying me. I see duct tape on your belay loop, I'm heading in the other direction... fast!   ;)

It's probably okay but for that $$, it's better to be sure.  Call it cheap insurance.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,395
Shane Rosanbalm wrote:

The stitching in the very tip of my belay loop is starting to come unraveled. It is a Black Diamond Momentum. The grey bar tack on the inner two layers of the loop is still intact. The black stitching that holds the outer wrap in place is what's coming loose. Do I:
   (a) duct tape just the unraveling inch or so to prevent further unraveling or
   (b) buy a new harness?
The harness is in great shape otherwise.

Option c, get it repaired.

Ellis L · · Chico, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 71

File a warranty request on Black Diamond's website and include these pictures! They might want this old harness for testing and replace it for you... 

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

Or option D. Continue to use until load bearing items are compromised. Do not use tape, as bad things could be happening underneath. 

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

Face Palm moment.

Good grief, get a new one.  Are you not serious about your life or your partners over $50?!?!

justino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 249

Find someone in your area that reslings cams and have them replace your belay loop. Or if money is tight right now tie a new belay loop with a water knot using tubular webbing as a backup and use both for the time being. Safe climbing 

Cabot Steward · · Smog Lake City · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 7
justino wrote: Find someone in your area that reslings cams and have them replace your belay loop. Or if money is tight right now tie a new belay loop with a water knot using tubular webbing as a backup and use both for the time being. Safe climbing 

Good idea. Or just get BD to fix it. :D

Shane Rosanbalm · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 65
Ellis L wrote: File a warranty request on Black Diamond's website and include these pictures! They might want this old harness for testing and replace it for you... 

Thanks for the suggestion Ellis. Claim filed!

Frau Larsenhosen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Look up Todd Skinner and read about what happened to him. It is worth it to spend the money on a new harness. 

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 415

You’re nowhere near Skinner level failure but I’d replace the harness. 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,186

Nothing original here but once I start seeing wear that causes me to think it’s looking a bit ratty, I replace. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Retire harness or duct tape it?"