Mountain Project Logo

Vertical Adventure Guides, Minimum Temperature?!

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455

Interesting review.

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,248

....and then changed the refund policy mid stream....pretty fuckin lame. 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

People still use guides?

LOl!

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

Wait...so the GUIDE canceled the trip, but won’t issue a refund?

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Unless that specific no refund policy was agreed to in advance, such retention of funds for services not rendered is unlawful. Phone call or letter to the guide from a lawyer might help him see the light.

Nick B · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 61

Lol chargeback.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120
Nick B wrote: Lol chargeback.

Absolutely!

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 65

Seems legit....

chris tregge · · Beersconsin · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,592
Juggler wrote: After looking at their website and looking at the booking procedure it looks like when you book you agree to their policies by clicking "submit/confirm" when you book a tour with them. They also offer a rescheduling option and a credit for the amount paid to be used in the future. Looks like they posted the policies and made it clear(no change "mid stream") before he booked and when he booked the tour on-line at check out. Looks like they were pretty legit and he may have not read all he should have read prior to booking. He also may have not been willing to reschedule his tour. He needs to work this out with them and take the credit for a new tour date. Their temp policy can surely be reassessed though.

Juggler are you a manager for this company? Or is that another “jugglerOne” who is listed as a manager and is responding to the reviews on google?

Chris treggE wrote:

Juggler are you a manager for this company? Or is that another “jugglerOne” who is listed as a manager and is responding to the reviews on google?

Busted

Lol
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455
Juggler wrote: After looking at their website and looking at the booking procedure it looks like when you book you agree to their policies by clicking "submit/confirm" when you book a tour with them. They also offer a rescheduling option and a credit for the amount paid to be used in the future. Looks like they posted the policies and made it clear(no change "mid stream") before he booked and when he booked the tour on-line at check out. Looks like they were pretty legit and he may have not read all he should have read prior to booking. He also may have not been willing to reschedule his tour. He needs to work this out with them and take the credit for a new tour date. Their temp policy can surely be reassessed though.

Yea, cause everyone reads those, amirite?!

But seriously folks, 52 minimum is completely ridiculous. 
Peter Brown-Whale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 20

shady on all counts

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 26
Juggler wrote: Yep, you got me...  ;)  Just sayin that all policies were divulged and VA researched the safety/comfort for beginner climbers and climbers of less than normal tenacity and out of doors experience. Most of the climbers VA takes out are rank beginners and can not stand being cold esp in the hands. The policy does have some flexibility BUT they do have to take into account forecasts a day or 2 ahead and need to make go/no go decision with the info available at that time. Guides need to plan and sometimes can not make last minute trips given they may have to drive 3-4 hrs to get there.  Thank you to all who have commented here and we apologize for wasting forum space with this. Maybe this thread can just die.....  :)

Apparently quite a few other guides found clients who were willing and able to tolerate the near-Arctic conditions that prevailed that day. Clients need to plan, too, and some of them may have driven a good distance to get to Devil's Lake so they could hand the guide their money. I really don't blame you for wanting this thread to die, but I don't see why it should.

Matt Wetmore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 45

If you thought your company did the right thing why did you have to pretend you weren't related when defending their actions? Pretty weak.

chris tregge · · Beersconsin · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,592
Juggler wrote: Yep, you got me...  ;)  Just sayin that all policies were divulged and VA researched the safety/comfort for beginner climbers and climbers of less than normal tenacity and out of doors experience. Most of the climbers VA takes out are rank beginners and can not stand being cold esp in the hands. The policy does have some flexibility BUT they do have to take into account forecasts a day or 2 ahead and need to make go/no go decision with the info available at that time. Guides need to plan and sometimes can not make last minute trips given they may have to drive 3-4 hrs to get there.  Thank you to all who have commented here and we apologize for wasting forum space with this. Maybe this thread can just die.....  :)

Dude. You have a TON of 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor. So you must usually do something right. This clients experience as posted (if all accurate) sounds like really crappy customer service. Why not fully refund and keep him happy. Hell maybe you’ll earn a customer for life and a referral for more. Now, you guys have earned a shitty thread and an unfavorable post. Just a thought. Do as you like. 

Dave Meyer · · Ojai · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 50

Holy shit this is dark. How do you people make money considering its almost always below 52 in Wisconsin? Why would you guide at a crag that is 3-4 hours away anyway?  If the story is true please do the right thing amd give the money back to the poster that was conned.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 65

You're not going to win this one Juggler.

My best advice is to refund your customer as the price of maintaining your good reputation ie cut your losses and move on asap.

Nick B · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 61

Not refunding a trip if YOU cancel it is a pretty lame policy, particularly for such a lame reason.    I would refund your customer and change your policy asap.   I certainly wouldn't hire you or recommend you based on that alone....

Joe Crawford · · June Lake, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 40

The job is to provide clients with the best experience possible given the conditions and client ability. A guide worth their salt ought to be able to plan and pack to ensure their clients' comfort. On a cold day, a few handwarmers, a pair of gloves and a stove for tea/coffee are pretty easy additions that can keep folks happy and climbing in pretty darn cold weather. Using commute time as an excuse is unacceptable from both guide and company; if the company can't provide the trip they were paid for, the client deserves a 100% refund and apology.

ZANE · · Cleveland, OH · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

Definitely sounds lame and I would hope that the client gets their money back. I don't know if you have legal ground but any business that wouldn't refund this seems shady. 

I thought people from California were supposed to be wimpy.

We woke up at -7F in Sequoia and still trudged into the snow and climbed ice.  Wasn’t fun but we did it anyway!!11!!1!!1!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Vertical Adventure Guides, Minimum Temperature?!"